PDA

View Full Version : spraying for weeds

vickiesbees
May 10th 2009, 05:05 PM
I am a new beekeeper and I don't want to do anything to harm my bees, so could someone tell me if it is okay to
spray and kill some weeds with round-up.

Iddee
May 10th 2009, 05:24 PM
Roundup is toxic to bees, but is way down on the list of products. It didn't make the highly toxic, nor the mildly toxic lists. It is listed on the relatively non-toxic list. I would remove any and all blooms in the area to be sprayed, then spray at or very near night. Also, most labels now are written with the honeybee in mind, so be sure and follow the label directions explicitly and I don't think you will have any problem.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2161.html

vickiesbees
May 10th 2009, 08:36 PM
thank you for your help. I noticed today that there are really tiny black ants getting into the sugar water I put in one of my hives. Is this a potental problem for the bees and how do I get rid of them?

Iddee
May 10th 2009, 08:41 PM
They won't eat much. :D

I don't worry too much about the little sugar ants. They usually go away when you quit feeding.

vickiesbees
May 10th 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks again.

Tia
May 14th 2009, 12:58 PM
Please be aware that Round Up kills amphibians! My lizards, newts, frogs and toads are valuable to me as mosquito eaters, so you have to weigh the consequences. As for me, I'm totally organic and I either weed with two hands, a manual weeder or my propane torch!

beehandler
May 14th 2009, 06:52 PM
sprinkle cinnamon around feeder,inner cover,or where ever ants are to get rid of them.

dogsoldier13
May 15th 2009, 02:15 PM
They won't eat much. :D

I don't worry too much about the little sugar ants. They usually go away when you quit feeding.

i beat this problem by placing 50/50 mega bee and granulated sugar in the top on a piece of wax paper and spraying diesel in a garden sprayer around the hive,works great

An-Nahl
May 16th 2009, 07:04 AM
sprinkle cinnamon around feeder,inner cover,or where ever ants are to get rid of them.

did this work for you... it did not seem to work when I tried it a couple of years back...

barry42001
May 16th 2009, 08:39 AM
Try diatematcious earth ( Yeah probably spelt wrong ) anyway made up for pool filters, from ground up shells from clams, oysters like talcum powder, but extremely detremental to most other things that crawl through is, sharp crystals damage breathing tubes, and body segments bee's don't seem attracted to it.
Barry

An-Nahl
May 19th 2009, 08:32 PM
diatomaceous earth ...ill look it up...