April 4th 2013 -
I reversed 3 of my hives, when the bottom was empty and the top was full of bees and brood. I actually saw one queen. I did not change the position of the frames except to be sure that full stores frames if there were any, ended up above the broodnest for easy access for the nurse bees. (outside frames with stores were present on 2 of those hives I think, I moved empty frames to the outside. I did not mix up the brood frames at all, bees have enough trouble going from
March 13, 2013
My goals: colony health and honey production, swarm prevention. I am at 5 hives, plan on selling at least one, possibly more, to reduce the number I am feeding this summer.
So I want strong healthy but preferably not swarming off into the distance. And I have never had honey, so I would like honey.
I will be looking in the hives around noon tomorrow, well between noon and 2, to see what I find.
If I see queen cells I obviously need to
The bees and I didn't really get along today. I only made it through half a hive before putting it all together again and letting them have their way.
That hive is packed. I really need to add a super, and will probably do so tomorrow. Anyways, it all started ok, but then I accidentally squished one and felt bad. I found all the new comb they had built on the bottom of the 4th frame, and realized I needed to do something since it would only get worse from there. So I tried smoking them
Well, I originally placed my hives on the ground where they would stay until I built the hive stand. Tonight I finished it, and wanted to put them on it while they were inactive. The original plan was to shut both of them up, and then open the weaker one tonight and open the stronger hive around 10 or 11, since I think I had some drifting to it when I installed them and figured if the weaker bees had time to get used to theirs, they wouldn't drift much.
First problem presented itself
First of all, most of my previous experiences with my new hives are found in this post.
I have two hives facing south. The western hive I named Hive 1, and the eastern hive is Hive 2. Maybe I'll come up with more creative names at some point. 1 has a young light queen, and 2 had a not so young dark queen. Hive 2 definitely has more bees, probably at least 50% more. Even when it was a nuc it had more, but I think even more drifted over there when I installed them 2 weeks ago.