This is not the first time I have had this much resistance when attempting something for the first time. But it has been a very long time since I have had to do it.
In all out of 96 grafts and finding 2 queen cells in one hive we now have all of three emerged queens in a queen castle awaiting the news if they will get mated produce etc. Even at that I have my concerns about how we made the first castle.
There is not a single thing about the entire process that I consider
After our first attempt at rearing queens I have decided that it is time to start over from scratch.
First of all starter and finisher colonies need to be far better prepared.
Second housing for the queens we did get was drastically inadequate. It will take abotu a month to get the mini nucs we made ready to receive a queen so we have spent the last couple of days working on queen castles. this way we can just move frames of brood and the adhering bees to the mating nuc rather
1st atempt 20% acceptance. 4 out of 20 queens are now at the point of emergence. one queen has emerged and shown to be of poor quality.
improvments made to grafting methods
2nd attempt 40% acceptance 4 of 10. Cell size looks better than 1s attempt will not know quality of queens for a coupel more days.
Improvements made to strength of starter nuc.
3rd attempt was last Saturday. zero acceptance. I am thinking so far this is due
Our second attempt at grafting resulted in a 40% acceptance rate. so we improved over the first attempt by double. Giving us a total of 8 cells being made from 30 grafts.
I decided at that point that the next improvement would most likely be made by improving the starter colony. We spent the next 4 days increasing the population of the 5 frame nuc we are using as a starter and giving them a frame of open brood. This was in order to get the nurse bees primed for feeding.
I have been using a thread I started weeks ago as something of a journal. I didn't realize I had a Blog and that I might possibly use it as a journal of sorts.
Anyway three days ago we began our fist attempts at queen rearing. 20 cells grafted with a 20% acceptance rate. Not to bad for first attempt. We made our second grafting attempt yesterday after visiting a craft store and buying an assortment of doo dads to make lifting larva work better. I have selected a 10/0 shader brush as