Queen cells

Thread: Queen cells

Queen cells

Needing a little advise. Have a wild hive that I retrieved on June 11 2016. Hive was doing great. I found the queen 7-10 days ago with 2 frames of larva and capped brood. Checked hive today and have 12 capped queen cells lots of capped brood and one uncapped larva. Could not find queen anywhere. Hive is medium size. Afraid of swarm leaving should I eliminate some of the queen cells? Any advice would help.

1 Hour North of Grand Rapids Michigan. USDA Hardiness Zone 6b
    I would use a few of the queen cells to make a couple of nucs.

With the new information: 6 frames of brood
    I would do nothing and let the bees sort it out.

Melliferologist - Proud Beekeeping Forums Member -Western Troll Division
    My minds just abuzzin with questions

Blog Entries
    how many frames of bees?
    No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

Gypsi there are only about 6 frames of bees

Blog Entries
    you have no way of knowing for sure which queen cell will be good. Emergency cells often contain less than perfect queens. With only 6 frames of bees, this is not a swarm, this is a supercedure of an injured queen, or the queen has died, more than likely. You can look at a deliberate queen cell vs an emergency queen cell, just to be sure. I would leave them all UNLESS you are going to buy them a mated queen. The bees will sort out which is best
    No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

Most swarms requeen soon after swarming. That might be what is going on here.
    circle7 honey and pollination

Blog Entries
    Unless you want a LOT of bees (and it is nearly July so I'm thinking feed feed feed to get them through the winter) I would let the bees attempt to mate a queen. If that fails order a mated one and feed feed feed to build up to survival strength