Newbee Again: Medium or Deep Brood boxes

Newbee Again: Medium or Deep Brood boxes

I want to thank everyone who replied to my last question...
    I'm about an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario - hunting around for bees to start 2017.
    Pretty much all I can find around here is four frame nucs, pretty sure they are all deeps.
    I have read several books and many of them suggest to use medium boxes for brood (3 mediums instead of 2 deeps) for the ease of handling as they fill up. This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering if bees prefer deeps over mediums or vice versa.
    I understand that full deeps could be a bear to handle but I'm more interested in what is best for the bees (I'll worry about my back later).
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

I'm not sure if they prefer one to another, but something to consider is how many hives do you plan on keeping. The cost, and your time will be affected by the decision you debate. You will be spending more money with the additional frames which could really add up with multiple hives. The other thing to consider is how much more time it will take to do a full hive inspection. That's 8 to 10 more frames to look through per hive. Just something to think about.

Just be sure to standardize. I have moved to all deeps for my brood chambers and all shallows for my honey. My bad back kind of dictated this.
    circle7 honey and pollination

Blog Entries
    I use deeps for brood and mediums for honey, but have started some medium nuc boxes to facilitate going to mediums for both one day
    No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

It doesn't matter what you use it all depends on how much you want to lift. Here in Florida I use one deep and the rest are supers.

Blog Entries
    as I get older those deeps come apart in 2 nuc boxes if they are full of honey, move out 5 frames at a time. which is why I think I should go all medium one day
    No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

what part of florida ? im in Beverly hills myself

I live in Naples