Has anyone have more info on this parasitic fly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone have more info on this parasitic fly?

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-02-hone...ic-larvae.html

Blog Entries
    If I find dead bees by my porch light I put them in a jar on the counter to see if anything crawls out. So far nothing has

No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

At this stage the fly is the least of my concerns. Been a terrible fall/winter for me.
    circle7 honey and pollination

How do you recoup from losing 80% of your hives?

Blog Entries
    I've recouped from losing 100%. I did removals caught swarms and bought queens. And I bought 2 nucs
    No, maybe I should do a few more hive inspections before trying to cram 3 hive visits into one trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I've recouped from losing 100%. I did removals caught swarms and bought queens. And I bought 2 nucs
    what do you think killed off your bees? anything to do with all the spraying for that zika virus?

Blog Entries

drought

Drought, inexperience and robbery took out my first year hives. Hottest temps on record in 2011.

You buy some packages, feed them up, split them in July with mated queens and treat and pray. If I have another fall/winter like this one it will probably be my last.

My first year I lost my hives to hive beetles. Learned a lot since then.

Well, 2 years ago I had around 90% survival... thought I had learned a little. This winter not so much

Blog Entries
    The weather has been crazy. Coldest snap in years, for what 2 days, haven't had a freeze here in about 45 days now, everything is springing out, including bees. Did you change anything you were doing Camero?

NOt really, I believe I have a virulent form of DWV. Many good commercial beekeepers in the NE are experiencing very heavy losses.

Here is a post by Peter Borst [Cornell] on losses this year:
    Hi all
    We are hearing reports from all over of very bad losses this season, some occurring in late fall, before bad weather set in. People are casting about for explanations. Before you go blaming yourself, bear in mind that very diligent professional beekeepers as well as backyard beekeepers have been seeing these losses.

The following is a bit dense but can throw some light on the situation:

Abnormal deaths may be preceded by no detectable symptoms and colonies with bees having shortened life span can stay alive during spring, summer and autumn, but fail to survive the winter. In fact, only specially designed experimental protocols may offer evidence of a reduction of the normal life span. And death is not the only unseen toll imposed by viruses. Without provoking any easy-to-observe symptom, several bee viruses provoke other detrimental effects including a lesser adaptation to cold ...

In other words, even when colonies seem well in May, June and July, viruses (and their associated pathogens) may have an impact, while longevity of adults is crucial for surviving long winters. Mathematical modelling applied to bee population dynamics demonstrates that colony collapse is a possible end of slightly reduced individual life expectancy of adult bees (Martin, 2001). This suggests that even slight effects on honey bee life span of virus infections may result in colony losses.

Blog Entries
    well all of us may have it at some point. Ain't looking good for beekeeping in general

im just hoping that my 1 hive makes it through the winter..there arent many bee keepers in my area, I dont know if that will help with cutting down the transmission of these viruses , or that can come in on wild honey bees that live in the area..is there any information on areas that have many bee keepers have higher rates of virus transmission?..

Thx god I live in Florida and did not have to deal with winter.