Bees gone from hived open air colony

Bees gone from hived open air colony

About two weeks ago I hived an an open air colony as B3 and Bjorn had suggested, using rubber bands on the frames to support the comb. All seemed to be going well, but when I checked my hives today, all that is left is ants beginning to march on in. I check my hives every 1-2 days, and am not sure why they left. At any rate, do you think I should split off some frames from another hive and insert a queen (I know of a couple local who rear and mate queens),, or see if I the commercial guy that parks his nucs on our property would sell a nuc? I would like to get some bees back on this comb. By the way, I took a look around my boxes for a swarm cluster, but didnt find any. Thanks for any ideas,

Mark

PS: Yes, Idee, I know I still need to get those pictures posted!

Re: Bees gone from hived open air colony

Why not put this drawn comb into the split you just made, it will give them some place to put anything they are bringing in from the field. If the other bees find it they will rob anything that is left anyway. Use only the most straight comb and place it to the outside of the brood nest so they will start filling it.

Sorry to here that they left, can't win them all, welcome to bee keeping.

G3