stitches in time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

stitches in time

Well, I got stitches for Christmas this year! Just four. It made me wonder though, what kind of stitches stories y'all have? Does anyone want to share?

And mama if you thought I typed slow before, then I'm really pathetic now! What with my pinky all wrapped up.

A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower.

Re: stitches in time

This summer I sliced acrost the big nuckel of my left thumb. You could look in & see the cartalege. Got to the emergency room at 9:00 AM. At 2:00 PM I walked out with my 2 stitches. Should have done it myself! I did take them out.

As a teenager - many, many years ago - three of us thought it would be a good idea to drive fast down a curving road and then park the car half way up a tree. My head went a little bit through the windshield. Decided not to do that again!

Now I content myself with sticking my fingers in table saws. The look on my wife's face is priceless when I come in the house with some digit all wrapped up in a greasy rag and say, "Don't worry, the finger isn't severed..."

Walt
    Having Fun With Nature
    http://www.rgf-tx.com

Ouch....sorry to hear about that.

When I was 4, I rode my big wheel off the front porch and down 10 concrete steps. Later that day, with my 12 stitches in my forehead, as my uncle was getting ready to go home, I ran around the corner of the house to hide from him and tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. Back to the hospital twice in the same day for 21 new stitches....in the same place.

Th wildest stitches I ever had (6 of them) was when I was 15, while playing football I had something poke through my skin on my arm and started bleeding. I went to the emergency room, where they removed a sliver of glass that had been there since I had run through a glass door when I was five. I had always thought it was scar tissue and never realized that they never got all the glass out of the arm when the accident originally happened. It never bothered me for ten years, until I got hit just right.

Last time I sat down and counted, the number was over 150 stitched. None associated with a major auto accident....and non from any bar fights....

All three of my kids (age 6-4-4) have been to the emergency room for stitches....and none from me..... Seems the metal and glass coffee table is a magnet for falling kids.

So, Baby Beek, what was it you did to get the stitches for Christmas?

Give us all the details.

We told you about our mishaps.

Walt
    Having Fun With Nature

Knowing her, it was either cooking or sewing.

The worst I ever had was a 2 inch cut on the elbow and another one on the wrist. While I was walking home, I got tired and laid down beside the road. A neighbor stopped and took me to the doctor. The doc said I would have bled to death if the neighbor hadn't stopped. I wasn't tired, I was weak from blood loss.

Blog Entries

Nice stories all, although they do sound like they were way more painful than mine!

I have a new appreciation for anistetic!

I was opening a soup can!
    I know, it's silly, but the cambells soup can with the peel open top was out to get me!!
    I started to peel it open and it got stuck, so I started pulling a little bit harder and it gave way all of a sudden. The edge of the lid just slipped right into my pinky on the inner side just under the nail bed and above the knuckle; I didn't even feel it. It went deep enough that it didn't stop bleeding until after the stitches were in but I didn't look to see if there was cartilage. However I did get the doctor to teach me how to tie stitches!

I've had stitches before so this isn't too bad.
    Last time they went all the way around my ear. I had fallen off my big brothers bicycle( that I wasn't supposed to be riding) Onto a pile of cinder blocks. It cut my ear all the way through right under the cartilage. I was real little so I don't remember how it felt or the number of stitches. I just remember having to sleep sitting up for awhile.

Blog Entries

Idee was right I was fixing to make tomato soup!

Baby Beek is our walking accident looking for a place to happen. When she was little she cut her ear in half....literally in half it looked like someone took a big pair of scissors and snipped it very neatly. I took her to our family doc, thankfully a very sweet and understanding lady, to get stitched up.....one week later to the day she jumped out of a swing and broke her arm.

She got a little bit older and went for a bike ride with me and hit the back side of a pickup truck and broke her nose, I didn't bother taking her in for that one since it set fairly easily for me. The winter before we moved out here she rode her bike into a hayfield and broke her collarbone......her uncle who cried like a baby when he broke his was amazed at how well she took it.

I'm glad I have a tough girl, she sure needs it. The folks at the hospital got a kick out of her last night. I think they kind of expected her to be squeemish but she wanted to watch what was going on.

Iddee, you poor fella.... good thing your neighbor stopped!

WaltB, you should NOT scare your wife that way! I just cringe everytime my husband comes in and goes "it's okay honey..." I immediately know that I better have the medic bag and or the insurance card pronto.

Bjorn, I have a piece of bone floating around in my elbow that I 'just know' is gonna creep out like that. I used to be an ace at jumping out of moving vehicles....that little piece of bone has been floating around in there since I was 15 and decided I wanted to go somewhere other than the place the truck I was riding in was going.

Before I had kids it was fairly common to see me sitting at a table at a party or down at the river stitching up the fellas that just couldn't see their way to get along without fighting. I thought momentarily about stitching up Baby Beek myself last night but sheesh, the poor kid already had to live through me setting her nose so I cut her a break and figured the hospital had anesthetic so off we went.

I'm waiting for the day that she stops being so dangerous to herself

I only had to go get stitches one time, and I busted them out about 4 hours later. I busted both knees up when I was 16 trying to jump over a creek.... I landed on both knees after falling about 15 feet down into the rock bed. I got home from the hospital and then my brother and sister decided to get a big softball game going. I couldn't pass up the chance to play, crutches and all, the stitches gave out before I made it to 3rd. I wrapped it up extra tight and never told mom

I have only had stitches 3 times. Most times I will just put on some band aids and carry on.

If you are going to be stupid you got to be tough!!

First itme I had a bad car wreck (rolled it over doing about 90) walked away from it without a scratch, a couple of days later dad and me were going to pull the car over to the shop and pull the motor and transmission. Dad was on the tractor and I was going to try and steer the car, he pulled a little on it and the steering wheel jerked my right hand into the smshed windshield, tore the tops of my fingers up pretty good. About 20 stiches in what was left of my first three fingers, lots of gauze bandages.

Second time was on an old tractor we use to have, the plastic handle for the tree point lift was missing, so it was just a metal handle with a kind of jagged end. I gave it a big pull up and my hand slipped, ripped the inside of my pointer wide open took 8 to close it up.

Third time was when we were running some two inch copper on a job, I made the first cut and took my leather gloves off, the pipe was going to fall and I made a grab for it, I hit it with my left hand and layed the top of the two middle fingers wide open, five more in each finger. I let the kids pull those stitches out, they thought it was neat.

G3

Mama Beek, I've been putting frames together and thinking about your post (a lot of time to think when you're putting frames together). I've been thinking that maybe Baby Beek comes by it naturally...kind of a genetic thing?

Walt
    Having Fun With Nature

I ain't certain I could even count all of mine.

first 12 or so at 4 years old which came the way of a hernia operation.

next when I was nine when I fell off a swing set and a bolt got in the way of my knee... total about 6 stitches.

next when I was 12 and I fell off a bicycle and knocked a whole in my elbow where you could see to the bone... another 6 stitches.

the next ones occurred when I was 17 when I half way bit off my tongue while playing basketball. don't know how many the doctored administered on that one. this one almost gave my mom a heart attack... I began to start thinking I need to be more careful

the last stitches I received at age 30 after cutting my left leg with a skill saw.

yikes Tecumseh! Be careful with the skill saws, man that had to hurt! I feel for your mama, I think I would have had a tough time with that tongue one too......wow.

Well Walt, you know how it is......trees, nuts....yup. I didn't get stitches much though. I broke quite a few bones, torn ligaments, muscle tears and so on... and love how G3 said it....if your gonna be stupid you gotta learn to be tough. In my case, a little tough with some good medical training

Baby Beek isn't stupid though, she just seems to find accidents more often than I would want her to. Me, well I was just stupid....young and plenty stupid. Now I'm old and arthritic...LOL.

Poor Baby Beek isn't feeling well today. She caught the stomach bug her brother had and has spent the whole day trying to sleep so it passes faster. That poor kid just can't catch a break lately.

Break out the honey! I always figure: Stomach bug... antibacterial honey --> put honey into stomach!

Of course, I use the same cure for sore throats and coughs...

mama beek writes:
    Baby Beek isn't stupid though, she just seems to find accidents more often than I would want her to. Me, well I was just stupid....young and plenty stupid. Now I'm old and arthritic...LOL.

tecumseh:
    nope don't think so either.

however, the brakes don't work so well when your natural and acquired make up has always been full throttle. I 'blame' a good portion of this malady on my parents who never limited me in what I did or attempted. I do think thing thru a bit better at 60 than I did when I was 6 or 16.

you know mama beek I can't really recall any of the stuff associated with my various wounds as having hurt at all. I do seem to recall that the healing was uncomfortable (itched a lot).