the home made E caller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the home made E caller.

The coyote population is exploding in the east. Many are now trying to hunt them to kleep the population down.
    I want to point out I did not start this building but a fellow on Predator Masters did.
    His user name is SDHandgunner .
    All Ihave did is up date the price of the things you need from Radio shack and give you an Idea of the size of the cup.

So here we go.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in building an Electronic E-Caller I think this post will save some time in the long run. To start with I am no expert, but have been building E-Callers for the better part of 10 years. OK so maybe I am too cheap to buy one, but to be totally honest I guess I have yet to find one with all the features I want in a pre-made Caller. For the first several years I would build one, use it and then as I was using it I would figure out a way to make it better. For the most part this meant more compact. Sonce of the ones I have built were from ideas shared by guys that also enjoy putting these types of callers together, while other ideas were out of despiration to make the units more compact. I have used Cassettes, CD's, and finally MP3 Players for the sound source (and yes even used one of the Boom Boxes a time or two).

To start with you'll need an Amp. I have found the little Radio Shack Amp (part #277-1008 = $12.99). I have experimented with this and other amps and dollar for dollar this little amp works, provides all the needed volume for about 90% of the calling you'll ever need, and the 9 Volt transistor Battery seems to last forever (provided it is not left on when not in use for days on end).

This little Radio Shack Amp actually is in a small plastic housing and there is a little 2" speaker inside the housing. The first thing I do is to remove the amp circuit board from the original housing. Next (through trial and error) I find the sweet spot on the volume control (on off switch volume control) at which the volume does not get any louder by turning the volume past that point, but rather just increases amp hiss/noise. I then remove the volume wheel from the volume control and hot glue the volume control in a fixed position.

Since we have disabled the On-Off Switch on the amp, we need to wire in a separate On-Off Switch (Radio Shack #275-1565 = $2.59 ea). I also like to wire in a small LED Indicator Light to help in not leaving the Amp turned on when not in use (Radio Shack #276-084 - $1.99 ea). One wire from the LED Indicator Light and the Red Wire from the Amp Circuit Board get soldered to on terminal on the On-Off Switch.

The positive lead from the new 9Volt Battery Connector (Radio Shack #270-325 = $1.99 per pck of 5) gets wired to the other terminal of the On Off Switch. The negative wires from the new Battery Connector, Amp Circuit Board and LED Indicator Light all get soldered together.

That is about it for wiring. Depending on how or what you choose to mount your amp in (I use either a Radio Shack Project Enclosure #270-1805 = $3.79 or an insulated Coffee Mug) you may or may not need a couple of 90 degree adaptors (Radio Shack #274-372 = $3.99 each. The 90 Degree Adaptors are needed for clearance to get the speaker and patch cord (that goes between the amp and the sound source) plugged in inside of the coffee mug.

Next is the patch cord to go between the Amp and the Sound Source (Radio Shack #42-2497 1' patch cord with 1/8" Stereo Plugs on each end = $4.29) and the sound source. You can get a premade 6' patch cord also if you need to have the sound source farther away from the amp.

Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Member SEMBA & MBA

Re: the home made E caller.

Driving down the interstate and Kare says there is one of those big coffee mugs you been looking for. At the next exit I did a U turn and went back to where she saw it.
    Wow it is a big one and best of all it is free.

The lid is 4 inches across inside the lip.

Thank you who ever lost it.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

this is the price list as of April 2009.

Radio Shack parts price update.

I went to Radio Shack last Friday to buy part for my home made E caller.
    Here is a price up date.

Radio Shack items parts list

Radio Shack #277-1008, Mini Audio Amplifier/Speaker = $12.99ea
    New price Michigan, $14.99

Radio Shack #275-1565, SPST Soft Feel Push on Push Off Switch = $2.59ea
    New price Michigan, $2.79

Radio Shack #276-084, LED Indicator Light for Amp (fits 3/16" hole) = $1.99ea
    unchanged

Radio Shack #42-2387, 6 Foot Patch Cord 1/8" Stereo Plug on each end = $4.99ea
    New price Michigan $7.49
    ***Radio Shack #270-325, 9V Snap Type Battery Connectors (Pkg. of 5) = $1.99ea
    I got the new tuffer type part number 270 324 $2.69

***When I opened up my AMP case there was a 9v battery connecter inside

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

Painting the cup.

Ruffed up the surface with sand paper 320 grit. Then sprayed the first coat of Krylon fusion for plastic textured shimer. Let it dry and did a second coat.

I like how it came out, the first time. did some more with a lighter color.

Had to wait on the speaker that got back ordered. I cancled the order as I didn't have any more time to fool with it as it became Bee Keeping time.

I ordered the speaker from these folks $7.99 and $8.00 shipping.
    http://www.altex.com/Speco-5-Weather...P-P141247.aspxI'm useing a I pod shuffle as it has not got a LCD to freeze up in the cold as a sound source.
    You could use a old walkman tape player, a portable CD player or any number of cheap MP3 players and even some cell phones.
    I am going to do my next one with a used Nokia 6085 I have on hand.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

That is a good write up Al. What kind of sounds do you find work the best?? squealing rabbit, squeaking rodents, etc., or do you have something special.

I find fresh road kill and tie it up to a fence post and wait till just before dark. Make a blind out of some round hay bales and wait.
    My favorite is a heavy barreled Winchester mod. 70 .243 with a Weaver K10-1 scope. I have found a good formula for reloads and they work exceptionaly well for this rifle. I just love to hit a crow with it!

G3

With the mouth calls I used a squeeler and a howler. I have to admit I am not good with them, reason for the E caller.
    On it I have a whole searies of calls from squeels howls hurt pups and even fawns in distress. Since it is just being used I will larn what works best.
    Finished the paint yesterday so will do a picture soon.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

I thought this was an ongoing thing, did not realize it was the first build. Really curious to see how it turns out. I never could get the hang of those mouth calls, mostly just slobber running down my chin or the call spit out in the dirt.

HAHA started this reply around lunch and got busy feeding the cows and bees, then started reading the varmit al's forum for a couple of hours. Anyway I am back now.

G3

I have friends that have built their own E callers. But for one reason or another I find they have other plans or some thing to do many times when I have the time to hunt the youtes. It is some thing fairly new to me as I used to work all the time and when not working I slept.

My favorite rifle is a Ruger medium weight barrel chambered for 220 Swift. When it is a bit on the windy side I like my Remington 700 chambered in 243 winny.
    In the deep woods I use either my Ithica model 37 pump and # 4 buck shot or the Charles Dayly OU extra full and full with # 4 buck shot.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

I like the caller, looks good to me. Never would have thought of putting one in a insulated mug, good idea. Might try to build one some day. I have just always used a small cassette player and small pa speaker. Good luck with the build and show us haow it turns out.

That varmit al's is a good site with lots of free call downloads. Thanks for the link.

G3

Its finished except I may add a led next to the switch to remind me4 to shut the amp down when not in use.

Paint is krylon stone textured, base was the medium dark gray and the break up coat is light tan stone coat.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

Looks good. I figured you would have cut the bottom out for the speaker and used the snap on lid for access to the amp and batteries, and also a good place to store the mp3 player and cord, just a thought.

Now to put it to good use and bust a yote or two.

G3

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing Al
    "I know because I must know, it is my purpose" - the keymaker
    Thank you to all that have made a donation!

Wow, you could be the next MacGyver!! That's kind of cool....I could never make one but it's really fascinating.

I did cut the bottom out with every intention of mounting the speaker there but the bottom was only 3 1/2 inchs across and the speaker just didn't fit right, well to suit me any way. I took a old 5 gallon pail lid, cut out the circle to fit the cup bottom installed the switch on it and used screws to hold it to the bottom. It is also my acess to the battery and amps volume, I was going to use just two screws and make it a swing closure with just loosing the screws but the cover was to thin and allowed a gap. If it was wet out it would allow moisture to get in, not now.
    As I stated it wasn't my idea, it was the fellow calls himself SDHandgunner who showed us how to build them.

You can cut the bottom out of this one for the speaker and use the lid as the access. It is a 64oz one from a holiday gas station convence store.
    There in the UPPER here not in troll land.

Al

Member SEMBA & MBA

HAHAHA that has to be the biggest mug I have ever seen.

G3