Echinacea

Thread: Echinacea

Blog Entries

Echinacea

Does any body here now what the best way is to start echinacea?
    I heard that the bees really like it and I would like to grow some, but I'm not sure how to start it.
    We bought a few roots last year and planted them, but I'm not very confident that they will come up like they are supposed to.

A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower.

Re: Echinacea

I bought mine (small plants) from Bluestone Perennials. I've collected seeds and spread them around and some have come up. (Mine are in a tough area... lots of weeds and field grass to compete with and I don't tend it much.) I think if I started seeds in pots then put them out I'd have better luck.

I wish I had collected seeds last year to send you...!

Blog Entries

Oh, thank you for the offer Hobie!
    I think I'll just try to start a few seeds in a container and see how they do.
    If we ever go to Walmart again(mom does her best avoid that place, but, I can't blame her) I'll pick up a card reader so I can post pictures.

I have good luck starting purple coneflower by starting the seed sometime between January 1 and the end of February. I put the seeds into little pots with a starting medium wetted down. Bury the seeds slightly and then place the pots in a clear trash bag. Close bag up and then place outside in a stable sunny location. I use my back deck. When the weather starts to warm, the seeds will germinate. Watch for germination and remove the trash bag. I always move perennials up into larger pots before finally placing them in the garden. sometimes I will move them up to larger pots a couple of times and plant them in the fall. The next spring they take off like crazy. Purple coneflower also reseeds itself readily. I dig up the new seedlings and place them where I want them or pot them and give them away. Last year I had 70+ seedlings in small pots all over my driveway. I took a bunch of them to bee club meetings as door prizes. I've found perennials and annuals that are started this way, as apposed to indoors under grow lights, are much hardier.

Quote Originally Posted by srvfantexasflood
    I have good luck starting purple coneflower by starting the seed sometime between January 1 and the end of February. I put the seeds into little pots with a starting medium wetted down. Bury the seeds slightly and then place the pots in a clear trash bag. Close bag up and then place outside in a stable sunny location. I use my back deck. When the weather starts to warm, the seeds will germinate. <snip>
    We start lots of plants out this way for the veggie garden, don't know why we hadn't thought of it for flowers Thanks for reminding me that it can be done.

(sigh) I guess now I have to go buy seeds..... LOL.

I talk big. This year I haven't started a single seed, yet. Winter has just been too brutal to want to do much of anything. I did put some native clover seed down, between snow storms. That is for the bees' benefit.

Blog Entries

We have cabin fever something awful! In an effort to make spring arrive sooner we have planted all sorts of seeds! All though the majority of them are winter sown in milk jugs.
    We planted:
    broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, peas, chamomile, sage, calendula, thyme, and mullein.
    A few broccoli and cabbages have sprouted, but that's all so far.

Finally got some seeds started yesterday afternoon. The temperature was about 50 degrees in the sun at least for a short while. My bees were taking cleansing flights as well. That was great to see.
    A neighbor came over to say hi and ask about my bees. She is looking forward to pollinators for her fruit trees this year.

Wally's baby beek- are you going to make chamomile tea?

Blog Entries

YES!
    If our chamomile grows and does what it's supposed to!

Our bees have been flying the past couple days and we have had a great time watching them.
    Our neighbors love our bees! Since we got bees our neighbors gardens do better and produce bigger fruits! You should seen the blueberries we got last year, they were as big as the tip of my pinky finger!

I hear ya! My raspberries produce about double what they did before bees.

I'm jealous! I have too many mature trees in my yard. The best I can do is a few herbs and several tomatoes.

Blog Entries

Aww!
    We have too many trees in our front yard. Flowers is really all that will do well there.
    We have a cleared area in the back of our property that gets good sunlight. Our neighbors yard, however, is very beautiful. The elderly couple who live there grow all kinds of the things and the bees love to spend time over there.

Daddy bought me echinacea seeds! I'm going to start some of them as soon as mom is done working in the kitchen!