1 out of 2

Thread: 1 out of 2

1 out of 2

Well, the weather was finally decent enough to allow me to go out and check my bees.
    1 dead colony, 1 healthy colony.
    The healthy colony was actually bringing in pollen.......cabbage????
    Whats odd about the dead colony was I did not take their super, I actually moved it to the bottom on them.
    There was alot of stored honey too.
    Expanding this year, so lets pray for good weather unlike last summer!

buy american made equipment
    http://www.maxantindustries.com

Re: 1 out of 2

I lost one yesterday. Two boxes full of honey. No sign of any problem other than they were all dead. No nosema, foulbrood, chalkbrood, k-wing, or anything else out of the ordinary. Totally unexplainable.

CCD strikes again?
    It has been a weird winter for you all in North Carolina.
    buy american made equipment
    http://www.maxantindustries.com

Not CCD as the experts describe it. CCD has no bees left in the hive. I had 3 or 4 lb. of dead bees and a dead queen. I have also heard a number of people say they experienced the same thing.
    No signs of any problem except a hive full of dead bees.

you did get more than your fair share of severely cold weather, didn't ya' iddee?

I noted some problem here with what I shall call local starvation. meaning that there was still stores in the box but the cluster froze in spot with no feed and died. and our winter was not extremely severe... although it was more than a bit wet.

Not that, Tec. No bees in or on comb. All on bottom board. Also, they were alive two weeks ago. Hasn't been cold since then.

Ok what did I miss.

I read CCD hive nearly empty just a queen and a hand full of young bees alive, queen not laying.

Al
    Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Member SEMBA & MBA

I had a full bottom board an inch deep in dead bees. I wouldn't call that nearly empty.

sounds like pesticide poisoning......

it sounds like beehandler is on to something?????

It looks like poisoning, but reports on forums are coming in from many areas of the same thing happening. It is also too early for pesticides. Nothing has even been planted, much less growing and ready to spray or dust.

I just heard Nosema Ceranae does not leave the tell-tell spots that Nosema Apis does. I'm thinking that may be what it is. Still researching.

Iddee, i just got through going through 3 deadouts with the same symptoms that you have described. These were strong hives 3 weeks ago with alot of flying activity on warm days (upper 50F and 60F days ) but no flying last Wed. 76F ?. I went through 21 hives and found these 3 deadouts and another one with about one in. of dead bees on the bottomboard and a double handfull of bees with a small queen in the upper hive body ( two deeps, hive). I didn't see any brood or eggs, but the workers were bringing in pollen. I cleaned the bottomboard and reduced the hive to one deep, when going through the one i removed i found two supersede cells (in the middle of one frame). I'm thinking this is a late unmated queen, there should of been some brood for this time of year. She was a small queen and not swollen like i think she should be. This hive and the other 3 hives still had 40 to 60 lbs. of stores on them. I had some last year with the same symptoms you described and thought it was to cold for them to move to their stores and froze, but like you i wonder now if it might be nosema ceranae. Is there a tell, tell sign that you know of? Jack

Nothing I know of, Jack. I was totally baffled until these posts brought a phone call telling me Ceranae has no visible dysentery, as Apis has, and can kill a hive within a couple of weeks. I'm looking and waiting for more info.

well Iddee unless you are a lot further north than I am and you bees are shut in for long periods of time then you are quite unlikely to ever see the dysentery symptoms of nosema. most of the time nosema is very subtle.

I think perhaps one of the varieties doesn't do so well in a cold atmosphere (carena I think???) and the other survives well. it seems that both essentially bound up the digestive tract in such a manner that the bees are essentially starving to death.. prior to death the bees appear weak and uncordinated. carena works in about half the time required for the apis variety to do it dirty deed. I noted a small number of cases here last year that I effectively treated with fumidil although none of the hives appear heavily populated. Clues... appears to be large number of bees dead in a frame feeder that never gets totally clean out, the hive's internal area appears untidy (not soiled in anyway but just not real spick and span polished either).

at your location if I suspected poison then I would be more inclined to consider natural plant based poison like yellow jasmine. there is a long list of nectars and pollens that are poisonous to bees.