Lily-of-the-Valley

Lily-of-the-Valley

I just dug up a small bed of half-spent lily-of-the-valley plants...never saw a bee on them and I don't much enjoy them. The plan is to re-plant with something I like and the bee's like better.
    The problem is that I can't bring myself to just throw away the Lilys-of the-Valley. I have a pile of the plants outside with leaves on one end and masses of roots on the other.
    Can these be stored for the winter, in case I decide to plant them elsewhere next season or maybe give them to somebody who wants them? If so...how to prep?
    Thanks

Re: Lily-of-the-Valley

I'm not an expert, but in your latitude, I think your best bet will be to find a neglected corner and put them back in the ground. They like shade, so you can put them behind the garage or something. Won't matter if they are crowded for a while (except it will be harder to separate them again.) Water them well and they should survive the winter.

Hadn't thought of that, but healing them in somewhere for the winter would be a viable option. Thanks!

Perhaps in your compost pile? I wintered over a Hosta in a pot in my wood-chip pile last year.