Plastic hives

Thread: Plastic hives

Unhappy Plastic hives

Hello I am new to this site and have found it to be very useful. I have partnered with a beekeeper with 45 years experience as a keeper. I am using plastic bee boxes and frames, and I am curious how you guys feel about the plastic boxes.

Re: Plastic hives

Welcome to the forum Bee3.

I haven't used plastic...only because I'm concerned about the durability with the Texas sun and heat. Plastic chicken waterers to supply water to the bees only last about a year or so, get brittle and break.

I see that you're in California. What's your climate like? I'd be interested in learning how your equipment is holding up if you are in a hot and sunny area.

I'm sure there must be a plastic formulation that is compatable with our climate...well, not that sure.

Walt

Having Fun With Nature
    http://www.rgf-tx.com

Hey Walt how are you doin ??? I am in northern ca and we have temps of up to 112 degrees in the summer. All of my frames and hives are plastic. My plastic boxes are working great in the high temps. Here is the best part no painting, no nailing, no damaged wood, and they really hold up. One of my mentors has 2,000 plastic hives and is very happy.

Bill

WOW! Your temps makes ours look like just a "slight warming trend". I'll probably try some plastic when it's time to add to the inventory. Thanks for the information, and try to stay cool. .

Walt
    Having Fun With Nature
    http://www.rgf-tx.com