I need some help on info about honeybees

Exclamation I need some help on info about honeybees

Hi My name is Autumn. I am NOT a beekeeper but need some help with something. I work at a store and every year around september or october honeybees (YES HONEYBEES) start swarming around our trash cans outside. I have 2 reasons for needing help..One, I would like to know how to repel them without harming them and Two, I begged my manger at the store not to kill them because they are having problems with dying off as it is. She called the local museum to ask about them and the lady said they are NOT honeybees but yellow jackets because honeybees are not around this time of year AND they do not swarm trash cans like that. But I asure you they are honeybees. IF they aren't suppose to be around this time of year why are they outside at our trash cans EVERY year at THIS time in a swarm. Any help with this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: I need some help on info about honeybees

More than likely they are attracted to discarded soft drinks/containers thrown in the trash, I have never tried to repel honey bees so I can't help there but you might wash the trash cans real well and set up bee feeder at some out of the way place and attract them there instead of the trash. Good luck, Jim

What 5 second rule? I have roll over minutes

Bsweet is probably right, they are attracted to something in the cans. This time of year most beehives have had a long summer to built up in strength and numbers and they are searching for the last little bits of food to be found before winter. It doesn't mean that they are starving. They will collect everything that they can. If nothing in the area is in bloom, then soda cans are all they have. Maybe you could consider rinsing out anything sweet before you throw it out. Not attracting them is the same as repelling them.
    The up-side is that foraging bees(the ones in your trash bins are foraging) are gentle so there is really no need to fear them. Unless you pinch one accidently, they don't sting.

My home hive hits the can recycling bin at the transfer station about a quarter-mile away pretty hard around this time of year, once the asters and goldenrod start to slack off their blooms the bees no longer have any other source of food to store for the winter and they become willing to take in anything sweet, but I don't particularly want them to bring in trash-bin "honey", so I spritz a few of the cans I'm going to recycle with a product called "bee-quick" which has a smell that the bees can't stand (but is totally non-toxic). That keeps them away from the recycling bins for quite a while.

The up-side is that foraging bees(the ones in your trash bins are foraging) are gentle so there is really no need to fear them. Unless you pinch one accidently, they don't sting.
    The down side is that there's also yellow-jackets that are sure to be foraging there as well, and they are just plain mean all the time. The good news is that I've found that bee-quick also works to repel yellow-jackets.

Though I don't use bee-go, I'm sure it works the same as bee-quick does, so I'm sure either brand would do. You can get them from nearly any beekeeper's supply sites... I can't remember if I got my last bottle from www.dadant.com or www.kelleybees.com as I shop at both places regularly. A little goes a long ways and for your needs one bottle would probably last more than a decade.
    If you can read this, you've got better eyesight than I do.

Might try a trash can with a lid on it to keep the bees out of the trash.

If you like to watch them, I like the bee feeder idea. A hummingbird feeder (with big holes, no bee-guards) or an oriole feeder will work. Regular 4:1 (water to sugar) hummingbird food will probably work to attract them, although it is waterier than what beekeepers usually feed. But that way you could feed hummingbirds earlier in the year, too!