Jelly making the easy way

Jelly making the easy way

I just finished a batch of blueberry jelly to give away at Christmas. Boy, did it turn out good. I had intended to use my huckleberries, but to make a long story short I ended up doing blueberry jelly. I used an old trick my grandmother would sometimes do. In a pinch, she would use Welch's pure grape juice to make grape jelly. I don't know why she just didn't buy grape jelly, but that's what she did. I found 1 qt bottles of pure unsweetened blueberry juice on sale. That eliminated the simmering on the stove top and straining to get the juice.
    Another trick my sister does is to make the juice when the fruit, berries, etc are freshly picked. After she has strained the juice from the fruit, she freezes the juice until it's time to make a batch of jelly, Of course, this works great if you have lots of freezer space. Sometimes she just breaks down the process into two days. Make the juice on one day and the next make the jelly.

Re: Jelly making the easy way

Some good thoughts there. And I'll add one more. if you don't have freezer space, just can the juice. Then you can make jelly, drink the juice, make punch for parties, whatever you want to use it for. Fruit juices process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes and last for years.

Re: Jelly making the easy way

Good point, Iddee. I get the sneaking suspicion that you are rather handy in the kitchen. Hmmmm?