Quantcast
another rat scenario

another rat scenario

your driving down the turnpike your car dies your cell phone battery is dead and you dont have your car charger its in the middle of the night. you feel unsafe you dont know what to do no one has stopped and your not sure if you would feel safe if they did stop. Same way with the passing motorist they see your having problems and like you are afraid to stop to help a fellow man because of the dangers involved. we have all seen that scenario. Our fears are well founded now lets shift gears. your hive is not looking right its about to go south. you cannot reach anyone on your cell phone for help. you are out on your own and your not comfortable with whats going on you rush home to your favorite beekeeping forum just knowing someone will stop in and help. you feel safe knowing there is someone out there who has had this problem and your just sure they will pull over for a minute and give you a hand. you set back and person after person passes you by. You look at the number of people who read the post but no one stops long enough to help. Just like the broken down car they pass you by. You dont understand why no one has chimed in with words of wisdom. Have they not heard of this? Is my question so dumb that no one will answer? Does no one have time? Or is it just like the car being dead on the road fear? The fear of being wrong keeping people from stopping to help. I dont know I like to post answers just to see if people will agree and if they dont I hope they post why they dont agree so I can see if Im missing the point. Tell us what you think

Disclaimer The Rat is suffering Cabin fever today and has got on the soap box to get people to post why because each and everyone of you on the forum I count not as a friend but a good friend and nothing brightens your day than to hear from an old friend that hasnt been around for awhile so lets tear it up with this scenario

Re: another rat scenario

On the road........ Always carry a box of roofing nails in your car. Just throw a handful out into the hwy. When there are 30 cars stopped with flat tires, help will come.

In the hive.... I'll wait for others to answer.

Ok.. I am a terrible lurker. I finally am beginning to get enough confidence in basic questions to take a stab at them. But by the time I get a post ready it never fails the computer will freeze up. I never get the reply to sound the same the second time I write it.

I will try to do better
    Charla Hinkle

@charmed that has happened to me i dont know how many times and you are correct about it not sounding as good the second time around. What I do is usually do a copy of the original than post usually if it freezes up i can back out of it paste the original back on the reply and resend. Im glad you posted my friend when you post everyone wins and there is no better feeling than that of helping someone else or the pat on your shoulder you give yourself when people agree with your advise. posting is a very good way to gauge within yourself if your learning people may post a different idea about it or there may be a lot agree with you and you findout you know more about bees than you have given yourself credit for. My moneys on the later

Blog Entries

I am guilty of lurking, sorry.

If I was the person in this scenerio I would use the house phone to call Idee and figure out what I need to do.
    Since I had to go back to the house to use the computer and my cell phone was dead anyway. And if Idee didn't pick up, I would refer to one of my ever so faithful and helpful hardcover books!
    A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower.

Good question, very thought provoking.

I think for me, since I've only been beekeeping for ALMOST three years, I don't feel like I have the experience and would rather let the old timers answer. I don't want to give anyone a wrong answer because I know how much I've spent on bees and equipment.

I would try to reply if I thought I could add to the conversation, though.
    Mil Apostol
    Chef, beekeeper, gardener, mushroom and wild food forager, geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

You've been doing fine. Keep the posts coming. Us oldtimers run out of things to say until someone asks a question. Keep the questions and comments coming. They help us keep the info flowing.

Sorry folks for being gone for awhile,(been catching up on my muzzle loaders)I am bad about lurking and not posting much in the way of anything but questions but I don't feel that my Bee smarts are all that great to be of much help yet but have high hopes for 2011. Jim
    What 5 second rule? I have roll over minutes

I've gotten bad about lurking.... mostly due to just being behind with schooling the kids and all of the other Mama chores around the house. I can't count how many times I have logged on, read a post and intended to reply only to get stopped abruptly by that call...."Mama!!" usually related to some sort of question for an assignment, or a critter emergency, or to referee a fight between the boys. I think life will be MUCH easier when I'm not homeschooling 3 in high school!

I promise to try to do better at posting though....

Quote Originally Posted by charmd2
    Ok.. I am a terrible lurker. I finally am beginning to get enough confidence in basic questions to take a stab at them. But by the time I get a post ready it never fails the computer will freeze up. I never get the reply to sound the same the second time I write it.

I will try to do better
    the way I get around this is do it in a note and copy and past

It would be so much easier if my "smart" phone would let me copy paste. It is my only source if internet at home so I get frustrated when it freezes or looses signal strength.
    Charla Hinkle

Iddee,
    Thanks for the encouragement. A good reminder to pay it forward for all the help I've gotten over the years from various beekeepers.

For example, my beekeeping teacher came to our rescue when our city's community development department decided, after we tried to find out the city's regulations concerning bees (there were none at the time), to regulate the number of hives we had.

One thing I've noticed about the beekeeping community is how everyone tries to help each other out.

Many thanks.
    Mil Apostol
    Chef, beekeeper, gardener, mushroom and wild food forager, geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

milapostol writes:
    I don't want to give anyone a wrong answer because I know how much I've spent on bees and equipment.

tecumseh:
    oh you can believe that Iddee and I will correct your wrong answers when the time comes!

on a more serious note, even most well read newbee's concept of what is wrong on most occasions only needs a bit of tweaking. I love to read the post of the new kids on the block simply because it tells me they are getting their sea legs and are almost ready to stand on their own.

at this point I am 'mentally' repositioning myself in regards to my net presence. it is my new years resolution to limit my response until 'much later'.

sometimes much later is too late also.

I try my best to tell what I do know or at least throw out some kind of idea, if i am not sure about something I will tell you so or try to find an answer and then post.

It's scary, but some of us on this fourm think and work bees in much the same way. So when someone ask a question it usually gets answered before, and in the same way i would have answered, and usually in a more understanding way. Jack