Quantcast
winter check

Thread: winter check

winter check

I have not opened up my hive to check on my bees. I have seen a few out on a sunny day. I did take the beekeeping course and our instructor told us to open the hives to check. I live in the Pacific Northwest and wonder if I should give them some sugar water when I open the hive. I don't know if they have stored enough honey to last them until I "revive the hive' as it is a new hive.

Re: winter check

if the bees are flying you could do a real QUICK check to see, best thing is to lift the hive to see how much it weighs.

Welcome to the forum!!

Lift the hive.
    If you can lift it easily, feed dry feed when it is 45 F. 7 C. or higher. "fondant or dry sugar"
    Don't feed sugar water or hfcs in cold weather.

If you can't lift it, don't open it.

tipping the hive to 'feel' the weight also works. the following web site has a design for a device modeled after 'the tipping' method of estimating hive weight...www.beehacker.com.

I've been fooled by a hive I could not lift, only to discover later that it was frozen to the stand.

Thanx for all your help, I will take off all the insulation today and try the "lift" method.

I finally did the lift test after I uncovered it and it was SO HEAVY. I got brave and took a look inside and its loaded. So, they are doing well. I do go back for another class in a couple of weeks on how to "Revive the Hive". Now that I see its really full of bees, I am wondering if I can split it later or am I going to have to buy a new batch of bees for a second hive. I understand that to split it you have to take them 3 miles away to start a new hive???? So thanx for your all your help

""I understand that to split it you have to take them 3 miles away to start a new hive????""

You understand wrong. It isn't necessary to remove them from your yard.

That's great, I'll do that. I live in Canada and the bee packages are REALLY expensive here. I do have another hive that I can set up. I will take the next set of classes that is more advanced and learn how to do it. Honestly I was amazed how full it was of bees. I guess that means I will get honey this year!!!
    Now that I have learnt so much this year I will also put a hive in at my beach cottage. I really enjoyed my bees. They are very calm and I sit on the pallets right beside the hive and watch them.

Hey Hippomir:

Where abouts in BC are you? We're from the Burnaby area (Simon Fraser Mtn.) Curious as to what packages are going for there now. Left BC in 02.

Perry

Hippomir writes:
    So, they are doing well.

tecumseh:
    not to spoil your fun, but how far away is spring?

splits require queens.

hi- I live on acreage in the White Rock/S. Surrey area. I took my course @ the Honeybee Center on Fraser Hwy

I don't know what this year's price will be for a 3 lb pkg will be. But last year it was $125 !!! But when I put in my bees @ my place in Pt Roberts as its US, I can buy them online for $65. They come by FedEx. Last year, the driver also brought my gardener, on the same delivery, her baby ducklings. The driver was so excited about the delivery apparently that he was showing it to many of his clients on his route. The bees arrived in great shape, I must admit.
    We are pretty rural there. Also in Canada, here we have to go and pickup the bees, which is kind of a nuisance.
    Last year, the bees arrived from New Zealand, I believe end of February to put into our hives. When I got to the place to get them.... HUGE lineup. Everyone wanted their bees and many were taking 2 and 3 pkgs!!