Robber screen/moving screen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Robber screen/moving screen

I've had a few requests for my robber/moving screen, so here it is.

First, rip a 1X, two pieces, 3/8 in. thick the length of your entrance. Rip 2 more pieces 6 in. long.

Cut a piece of 1/8 in. hardware cloth the same dimensions and staple to the two long pieces.

Now staple or nail the two 6 in. pieces to each end, on top the screen' and staple the screen to them.

You now have a robber screen. The bottom board will prevent them from going under, so the only entrance is from the top. The house bees will adjust to it, the robbers will not.

Next, cut a piece from the edge of a 2X4, which is 1 1/2 in. thick, 1/4 inch and longer than your screen. Notch it on both sides to slide down into the entrance.

Open entrance.

Closed entrance for moving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Iddee For This Useful Post:

Re: Robber screen/moving screen

Good post Iddee,I lost 2 colonies last fall due to robbing,and after I started using these screens,all the robbing came to an abrupt halt.

Getting old is inevitable....Growing old is optional

Don't mean to be dumb but where do you put it?

Blog Entries
    That is a nice, neat simple design that
    Uses less wood than mine. How do
    You mount it on the hive?

It goes across the front entrance, mounted with two small nails or screws.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Iddee For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

And it definiteLy works! I saw a lot of activity in front of the 3 hives I have in my yard and upon closer inspection, realized it wasn't orientation flights but robbing. I had taken the entrance reducers off due to 100 plus degree temps so I first put them back with the smallest opening. I looked up robbing on here and there it was-a robber screen! We're not carpenters but we started building 3. The activity at the hives was escalating even with reduced entries so we put wet sheets on them. Finished screens by dark but decided to install early in the morning. When the sun was fully up the frenzy began again. Couldn't tell 'til the next day if we were successful but when I opened up the East hive all I found were dead bees-even the queen on the bottom board-not a drop of honey left. The middle hive was full of dead bees with a few survivors and all their honey still there. West hive was still bustling with bees, all the honey untouched. We made 3 more screens for our hives 14 miles away in the country and installed them because some of the same activity had started there. It's been over a week and even tho repeated attacks have been launched, none have succeeded so-Thanks, Iddee, my remaining hives are safe and another hard lesson learned.

Blog Entries
    I learned to build a more complicated robber screen last year, my hive was small and weak, and the drought/dearth were on. Despite the screen my hive was robbed out and bees killed the first week of October.

Ironically, I think the bees that robbed them out were a large swarm I lost in May of 2011. And even more Ironically, I think my current "hot hive" were last years robbers. Whoever they are they moved into the beetree in my garden this spring.

Bees are bees, but robber screens are very good. So are strong hives.

Blessings on our bees...

Gypsi
    The older I get, the better I get at doing the right thing, letting it go, and lounging in my computer chair going, gee, I should do some work! Bees are plumb easy when you have been through as much as I have.

Iddee, do you have pictures of this mounted on hives, both open and closed?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is good men do nothing"

Can I put a robber screen on at any time or should I wait until all of the foragers have returned? I fear the foragers might have a problem with a new entrance just a few inches away.

Blog Entries
    I put my robber screen on at night or around 5 am, predawn when the bearding bees have gone in for the night. (a sprinkler can speed them up, maybe at 11 pm or so.) When all are in, put on the screen.
    The older I get, the better I get at doing the right thing, letting it go, and lounging in my computer chair going, gee, I should do some work! Bees are plumb easy when you have been through as much as I have.

I tried to put mine on at nite but the bees were really, really defensive-thought it would be a quick tap of the hammer(didn't put long pants on) and ended up learning a new dance with 5 bees up my britches. Had to wait 'til early the next morning to finish the job.

find it a little quicker by placing it at night, but they will find it whenever it is placed. A few more minutes won't hurt that much.

Blog Entries
    I was going to install screws on the sides of all of my new deeps, to correspond with roughly center for a robber screen. Use plumbing pipe strap, with a snip cut at the right distance for mounting the screen. Have a nuc to move to a deep today. May wait and move it tomorrow, install robber screen screws and mount kit on the empty box first. One thing is for sure. Determined robbers can remove duct tape.

Blog Entries
    When I pull the robber screen off of my nuc after the move, I'll take a photo. It mounts into the hive opening itself, no screws or tape needed. Horizontal 1x2 or 1x3 shoves right into the opening, leaving only a half inch entrance INSIDE the screen. Exterior entrance is at the top. Improvement off of last year's design flub.