Division Board Feeders

Division Board Feeders

Does anyone have any information on how to build division board feeders, that will divide a 10 frame box into two 4 frame nucs? Which glue? What materials are needed?
    That will not leak.
    Thank you.

Re: Division Board Feeders

Fatbeeman has a video on different feeders he has tried, it may help some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-pCxdM ... HFqyI2G3Jp

Re: Division Board Feeders

I've never made one for a Langstroth, but have for a TBH. I used Luan and pine. Since you want to make it as a divider, you have to size it so no gaps are big enough for bees to get through. Depending on the consistency of your hive bodies, you may end up building them for a given hive body or need to come up with some type of gasketing to fill the space. I cut my pieces out, polyurethaned the inside and glued and stapled the pieces together. Waterproof glue. If you really want to play it safe, you can melt some bees wax and run it along the seams. Just pour it in and tilt the feeder so it flows along the seams. There is also a piece of hardware cloth down the middle of the feeder to prevent the bees from passing from one side to the other. I choose hardware cloth so that it was a common syrup reservoir, but you could make it with 2 separate reservoirs by using a solid divider. I also put a 1/2 dozen or so wine corks in each side for floats. Since it is a closed unit, if you use one big float, you can't tell if it gets hung up. Since mine was for a TBH, I screened off the fill hole so that they couldn't use it as an entrance and there is also a small hole so that a dowel can be used as a dip stick to check the level.

I had made 2 of these and successfully wintered 4 nucs (2 per hive).

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison