Quantcast
Observation hive... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perry your observation hive is beautiful. I have been trying to get my husband to build me one. He just hasn't had the time. Hopefully this summer. We borrow one from a friend to take to the local farmers market to give talks and to schools for talks. It is such a great teaching tool.

Perry.... do you have plans for this observation hive?

I do tec, I sent them to you in a pm.

Nice looking ob hive Perry.
    Years ago I built a four medium frame ob hive, grooves cut in for sliding double strength glass into, it worked beautifully until the propolis seized the glass, ended up hacking the outside edge off the groove to enable the glass to be removed.
    Today I just put some bees into the ob hive again, a bear destroyed a small hive that I had sitting in yard beside my chicken coop, bear really did a job on it and no queen can be found, had a nice frame of brood that the bear did not destroy so rubber banded the brood into a frame that was not broken, installed what was left of the colony into the ob hive and hung on wall for my "bee tv" , I imagine the bees will make a queen cell from the brood frame but it is too cold now for successful mating if the bees do succeed in raising a queen. I still enjoy watching them.
    If I were to build another ob hive it would only have three medium frames with single strength glass that sits on each side held in place by plastic mirror clips.
    One more insult the bear achieved was my six frame dadant extractor was sitting outside so the bees could clean up the honey, the bear kind of beat it up, not round anymore, big dinge on side, now have to disassemble and see if I can straighten out the stainless.
    My fault, should not have left it sit out overnight.

Hey PN.
    I elected to go with a heavy plastic (lexan)? type material instead of glass. I have heard that vaseline in the groove the plastic slides in prevents the bees from propolizing it in. I have also thought that if I was to build another, it would have a door that opened on one side instead of the groove.
    As far as leaving the extractor out overnight, been there, done that. Who would have thought what happened to you would happen? What are the odds?