Woo Hoo! 2 scores at Home Depot in two days!

Woo Hoo! 2 scores at Home Depot in two days!

I love the Home Depot cull lumber bin. If not for their cull lumber, I would be stuggling a lot harder than I am to do what I want to do. But the past two days I got particularly good hauls from it...

Yesterday I got a bunch of 1x12x(roughly)3-4', enough to get two sides of a box cut off of it, with leftover wood for frame parts. 51 cents each... that makes the boxes $1.02 each to build (not counting nails and glue), with leftover wood to make a few frame parts... and unlike usual, this time the wood was straight, no warps, no cupping. I haven't cut it up yet because I had a little accident in the shop and nearly took my finger clean off when I was working with a chisel and slipped, so I was kinda taking it easy to give my finger a chance to heal, which it's doing faster than I would have thought it could. Anyway, I picked up enough cull lumber to make 3 boxes, so I figure I saved more than $20 on that deal.

Today I got another big score, 2x10x(roughly)4', enough to cut two top bars plus a side bar from lengthwise, which is exactly what I did today since my finger is healing so well and feels so much better today. I picked up 6 of those boards today for again, 51 cents each, and they are all straight as an arrow. So I have $3.03 cents in this wood today, and I just got done cutting the top bars to the right dimensions... after being really picky and only chosing the pieces that had no knots in them for the top bars, I still got 60 top bars out of it, and I'll probably get that many if not more end bars. Now I figure each frame costs about $75 cents to order in bulk after the shipping costs are added in... and the top bar being the largest piece requiring the most wood I figure that piece alone is probably a 25 cent piece, while the other three pieces split the remaining 50 cents something like 18 cents apiece for the sides and 14 cents for the bottom. So by that I figure by the top bars alone I saved around $12, and once I cut the side pieces, provided I get 60 of them, I will have saved around $23!

Alright I admit it's not quite striking it rich, but anytime I can get enough cull lumber to save more than $20 in hive parts, I consider it a good day. Two days in a row, that's rare, and it sure beats sitting around doing nothing on my days off.

If you can read this, you've got better eyesight than I do.

Re: Woo Hoo! 2 scores at Home Depot in two days!

Save the chisels for wood, not flesh!

Gary VanCleef
    americasbeekeeper.com
    americasbeekeeper.org

That's cool. I don't know if my local HD has a cull bin, never seen one. But I'll check now to see. By the way, glad the finger is healing.
    Jim

Save the chisels for wood, not flesh!
    Ohh, that's where I went wrong... NOT flesh. LOL

I just got done cutting out what I call blanks, that is pieces that are the right outside dimensions but don't yet have the notches cut into the end and don't have the taper yet. After throwing out any pieces with blemishes or defects that would weaken them I ended up with 434 blanks. If I figure them at around 18 cents apiece then I made out like a bandit and I still haven't cut the bottom bars.

Home Depot culls is an orange cart, usually near the saws in Lumber.
    Gary VanCleef
    americasbeekeeper.com
    americasbeekeeper.org

Sounds like you made out like a bandit!!

Check around the dumpsters where they are building new houses also, 1 x lumber can be found there also, especially in the higher end houses.

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms
    Check around the dumpsters where they are building new houses also,
    If I thought that they were building new houses somewhere I'd feel a lot better about the economy than I currently do, lol.