Quantcast
Removals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removals

Removals

With spring approaching, there will be calls from concerned citizens wanting "THESE BEES GONE".
    Some beeks will be doing removals, so I'm starting this thread for posting experiences and "how to" hints from your removals. I am also making it a sticky for easy reference when you have a call, so be explicit with your methods, so others can be helped.
    Thanks

Who wants to start???

Re: Removals

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Catcher
    With spring approaching, there will be calls from concerned citizens wanting "THESE BEES GONE".
    Some beeks will be doing removals, so I'm starting this thread for posting experiences and "how to" hints from your removals. I am also making it a sticky for easy reference when you have a call, so be explicit with your methods, so others can be helped.
    Thanks

Who wants to start???
    was it you that explained to me how to make a vacuum that catches bees? If so, could you please explain how to build/assemble a vacuum to capture bees?

The easiest way is to study the photos and then I will answer any questions you might have.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/

looks good... How about a list of supplies used.

...most looks self explanatory

if you have never done an extraction before, i would strongly urge you to go with someone that has, and help them on at least a couple before attempting this. they can get pretty dicey real quick! just my 2 cents

Beehandler, any chance of getting you to go with me on my first one?

I'll buy you a Bar-B-Que if you will.

i'll go only if you promise to wear a shirt !!!

Hi Guy's

The method I use is with a skep, (which I am led to beleive are not permitted in the USA).
    With any swrm I spray a very fine mist of water over them to cool them down. I then place the skep either under the swarm or in a position to brush the bees into the skep.
    Previous to this I will have laid a sheet out near the swarm so as when I turn the skep the correct way it sits on a board and sheet. The sheet is for when the bees have finished flying and are all in the skp I tie the sheet up and carry the whole bundle to the van.

When I get them to an out apiary I will have a Nuc ready to put the swarm into, therefor allowing me to 'dust the bees with icing sugar' to drop any Varroa mites. The floor of the Nuc will have a piece of thin plastic covered in jelly to ensure the mites do not climb back into the bees.
    I can now asess the characteristics of the swarm and re-queen if ness. After they have been in the Nuc for a couple of weeks I would then transfer them to a normal hive.

There are occassions when a 'Bait hive' will be used, as I allways smear the foundation with a solution of honey to entice the bees in.

Regards;
    Bcrazy

Catching a swarm is a little different than a removal. This is the beginning of a removal.

Hey guy's. what can I say!

I did not realise that what you were talking about was a huge task as shown in the photo.
    I have never been called to anything as big as what is shown, and now I understand why you have the vacume to suck up the bees.

My apologies to you all.

Regards;
    Bcrazy

No apologies needed. Just a difference in terminology. No foul, no harm done.

Yes, some removals can work 2 or 3 men 6 to 8 hours, and that doesn't include repairing the home.

hey there bee catcher glad to see ya. To all who may not know his reputation he be the GURU on Shirtless bee removals. Heck any removal he be the guru and go to guy for advice.

Glad to see you here, RR. Watch the accolades, it might give me the bighead. Hope you like our community and stay awhile.

If there is anyone here in the south central kansas area that would like to be a part of a cutouot I am doing one march 8th. They are welcome to tag along and learn. I know it is to early to be doing a cutout but they got to go. I am going to try and use them to populate my new OB hive I am picking up Sat.

Idee I would get a cut out or 2 or help you with some needed.Larry Tate 788-4454. Winston Salem NC. Do you have any more treated deep drawn comb?