Transmitting mites and beatles.

Transmitting mites and beatles.

I live on Molokai and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any mites here yet. There may be beetles but I haven't seen any yet.
    I'd like to buy a queen but one company said they wouldn't sell because they might transmit mites or beetles.
    How are they transmitted. Can't you see them?

Thanks and mahalo in advance as I need all the help I can get. Hopefully I can help you in return in other areas as I've been around the block a "few times".

Blog Entries
    Varroa Mites can be transmitted either in the developing stages, inside open or closed cells, on developing larvae or as hitchikers on the body of infested bees: drones, workers or queens. May you never know the experience of seeing them in person, but those who have seen varroa "at work" know how difficult it can be to dislodge them from the host bee. I's very much like a tick on the human body just that the size ratio of parasite to host is much larger with varroa to bee than tick t human.
    There are other mites too, particularly those that feed while living in the tracheae (breathing tubes) of the bees. These too, travel as hitchikers in their hosts.
    The company that doesn't want to sell to you is behaving very responsibly. They deserve to be congratulated.
    Fortunately, I have no experience with SHB, but I assume they travel from one area to another either as flying adults, or in infested hives and equipment. Possibly by the transport of infested soil. Other members will be able to fill you in on them.

Proud member of the Beekeeping Forums,
    (middle-east division)
    From the land flowing with milk and HONEY

the small hive beetle is a scavenger it is often times found lurking in and around three hole wooden queen cages. it is small enough it can lurk on the inside or outside of the package or in the little air slots cut into the sides. I would assume the small small hive beetles can do the same on jzbz queen cages... although I have never witnessed them doing so.

If Varroa and small hive beetles are on the island they will come to the hive more than with the hive. Especially if you have the front door wide open. That is how thieves and parasites get in. Why break a window when the door is open?
    Gary VanCleef
    americasbeekeeper.com
    americasbeekeeper.org

Suppose you imported a queen that was free of pests. Suppose subsequently pests turn up on the island. I am afraid that other island beekeepers will look sideways at you.

MUD STICKS ...... IT CAN STICK FOR YEARS.

Play safe and don't import.