changing hives - newer beekeeper

changing hives - newer beekeeper

Could anyone point me in a direction as to how to switch/move a warre hive to an 8 or 10-frame hive. I built the warre and put bees in it last spring, it wintered really well, but I've found it more difficult to inspect and work. I want to stick with 8-frame hives, as I know them better, and the honey is easire to extract. It has been fun building it and working it, but have decided to stick with one style.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, bee whisperer. I can see already that you are going to be a great beekeeper--Perry gave advice and you followed it instantly.

As to your question, I have absolutely no experience with TBHs so my advice (contrary to Perrybee's), might be totally useless and off the track. Take it for whatever you think it's worth. I would think that the transfer would be best handled like a cut-out. Take the frames of brood from the TBH and, with rubber bands. position them inside frames from the 8-frame hive. It should be only a matter of days till the bees connect the combs to the frames. Stores of honey are very heavy and will probably make an unmanageable mess if you try to place them in frames with rubber bands. Depending on how many frames of brood you get, place them in the center of the hive, filling out toward the walls. Place frames with foundation to fill out any spaces in the brood box and use the honey from the TBH in an empty upper super, above an inner partition with an access hole, for feeding the bees. Depending on the size of the family, set up the receiving hive with the amount of space and number of frames you estimate them to need. Remember to line the frames for building carefully, tightly against one another---that should help to get you well built combs. Make sure to place the hive in the same position formerly occupied by the TBH.
    Watch their behavior, and if all seems normal, after a few days you should be able to examine them and begin treating them as you would any normal Langstroth hive.

Proud member of the Beekeeping Forums,
    (middle-east division)
    From the land flowing with milk and HONEY

Efmesch, I think you've got the two new members mixed up my friend.

Daniel is the one with a TBH, Bee Whisperer has a Warre that he wants to transfer to Langs, not a TBH.
    But your advice on transferring from a TBH sounds bang on to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryBee View Post
    Efmesch, I think you've got the two new members mixed up my friend.
    We're getting so many new forum members lately (all welcome), that I haven't yet been able to digest their individual identity yet.
    Probably a function of (my) age involved here too.
    (middle-east division)

Welcome BW!
    Gary VanCleef
    americasbeekeeper.com
    americasbeekeeper.org

Welcome to the forum bee whisperer

If this is a true warre hive and does not have removable frames then do as efmesh says. You will need to cut out the brood combs and rubber band them into Lang frames.

Quote Originally Posted by efmesch View Post
    We're getting so many new forum members lately (all welcome), that I haven't yet been able to digest their individual identity yet.
    Probably a function of (my) age involved here too.
    I think you were correct with the first explanation. Clearly age doesn't factor into this equation Efmesch my friend, if it did, how would we explain Iddee or tec?

Welcome bee whisperer
    I have always preferred to read authors who tell how they do things, rather then those who tell how things should be done... Jay Smith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryBee View Post
    .... how would we explain Iddee or tec?
    They're still toddlers
    (middle-east division)

Wellcome !!!

a large welcome from the state of Texas.

my experience is largely with langs although anyway you might wish to keep bees in a box is all right by me. casually I would think efmesch explanation is about the same advice as I would offer.

good luck on that and do tell us how the transfer goes...