Hi, new to this friendly looking forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, new to this friendly looking forum!

Hi,
    I've been lurking and this looks like a nice friendly forum so I decided to join and.....oh right---post!

I'm using all Warrés (and 1 KTBH as a pet hive at home, my other hives are in out yards).

I use Warrés because I live on an island where it rains 365 days a year. (OK, not exactly that much....360 days a year). Getting honey is a rare treat due to the weather (even for Langs) because the bees only have about 6 weeks---more in a good year (whatever that is) to store enough to last for almost 10 months. (But the Warrés are good for taking care of all the moisture due to the year round rain here). I'm the only one using them and the pres. of the bee club calls them my "skeps" (and me a "weirdo", but he's only joking(?) LOL.

Anyway, I'm happy to join the forum!

(My experience with bees? If I live to 120 I will always be a beginner because bees always surprise me and never let me forget that!)

Welcome to the forum Zeevah

That sure is a lot of rain you are getting......WOW!

Welcome and enjoy your stay!
    Greg Whitehead
    Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather

Greg's Bee Adventure

At this point, everything I do is an experiment!

Welcome to the forum Zeevah, i know a little about bees, but never had a TBH and never seen a Warre hive? Would love to have some of your rain we are 19 in. behind for the year,had only .2% rain in over a month with temps. 99F to 106F and forecast fore next week to average 101F with no rain in sight. Jack

Welcome Zeevah!!!!!

Excuse my ignorance, but where in the wide world is PNW island?

We have members from all over the world, and we all are here for the same thing, our love for bees.

You have found the right place to hang your hat. Folks here love to talk bees, learn about bees, teach about bee, read about bees, and pick on each other-all in good fun.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, even old timers learn from new folks questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There are archives here that encompass the whole worlds knowledge of beekeeping. Most times when I've asked a question, it's already been asked-and answered-in another post. But, that's OK-ask anyway.

Also, don't forget to check out the chat room, sometimes busy, sometimes slow, but always fun.

Again, WELCOME!!!!!

greetings and welcome zeevah!

gunsmith said it best in his welcome to you!
    gunsmith asked your location, the PNW.....i would guess a pacific northwest island? north of seattle? in the puget sound?!

well anyway, WELCOME!
    i keep wild things in a box ™....
    if you obey the rules you miss all the fun..... katherine hepburn

Thank you everyone! It IS a friendly forum!

Yes, a lot of rain is normal for this island, but the last 3-4 years has been more than normal. There are tons of islands and some get more rain than others. Plus a lot of micro climates....

brooksbeefarm: I feel really bad hearing about the drought and heat waves in your part of the country, wish I could send all of you some of this rain. But although we have opposite extremes, the end result is the same-----crop failure(drought/too much rain) and little forage for the bees (But at least we don't have to deal with the high temps!)

gunsmith: Thank you for the long Welcome Don't feel ignorant not knowing what "PNW" means. I always have to look up on Google when people use initials! Sorry(!) I'm just used to writing that because it's commonly used here. Riverbee is correct, it means Pacific NorthWest. Tons of islands here and due to the Canadian/US border running thru the ocean some are on the US side and some on the Canadian side. The island I'm on is on the US side but I can see Russi---er, I mean Vancouver Is, B.C. from my house

riverbee: Thank you for the colorful welcome

(Trying to figure out the forum posting format. Is this the IQ part of the test? I think I just flunked.......)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeevah View Post
    The island I'm on is on the US side but I can see Russi---er, I mean Vancouver Is, B.C. from my house
    Hi Zeevah and Welcome to the forum. It looks like you fit in perfectly--another beek with a sense of humor. We love to laugh together.
    Proud member of the Beekeeping Forums,
    (middle-east division)
    From the land flowing with milk and HONEY

Thank you efmesch!----great to know humor and laughing is part of this forum!

Welcome to the forum.

We have had some very wet weeks ---- even had to feed some small colonies. The ground moisture is well up and the vegetation is very lush. Today is warm and sunny ---- at last ! I'm loading the supers on my hives in the hope that the next few weeks will produce good nectar flows from the Rose-bay Willowherb and the Himalayan Balsam.

Apparently the Jet Stream has moved South to its normal alignment --- hence the better weather. I hope it stays there.

KTBH ----- Kenyan Top Bar Hive ???

and howdy from Central Texas.

A tardy welcome from NS
    Though you certainly have your weather struggles to contend with, I wonder if you have been spared many of the pests due to your somewhat isolated environment?
    Bees and fun, that's what we do here!

Welcome Zeevah, glad you found the forumed, will learn a lot here, know I have.

kebee

Welcome, Zeevah, from another Warre keeper (and newbie myself)! I hope we can learn from each other and the experienced keeps on this forum.

Welcome Zeevah! I lived on one of those islands -- Whidbey Island. Beautiful country!

Gary VanCleef
    americasbeekeeper.com
    americasbeekeeper.org