Bee Bee trees doing well

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I planted these from seedlings on August 1st. They were 3-4" tall then and now the tallest one is over 2 ft.
    I cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and placed them over the seedings for wind and rabbit protection. I dust the trees with gardening lime periodically.

Attached Files:

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Maybe in 12 months you can post new pictures so we can see how they are growing?

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

These are the trees on the first day of Spring 2012...

IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1635.jpg IMG_1636.jpg

4. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Very nice. I got some seeds the first of last month. Put them in the fridge for a lil over a month now to simulate winter and i am going to plant them this week. Hope mine are as successful as yours.

5. John67x

John67x New Member

The trees look like they are doing very well. I see they have the dark red branches and leaves have good healthy color in your Sept. pics. Good idea with the bucket for protection. I see they made it through winter nicely and your getting leaf so that's great. You should see 4ft feet of growth this season and perhaps a bit more.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Very good...inspires me to pluck a few of those suckers instead of mowing them over...

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks! The place I got them from (Oregon) said I should fertilize them and recommended a slow release fertilizer. I just use horse and chicken poop.

8. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I planted mine earlier. I now have lil "inchling"

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Your Bee Bee Trees are looking great! Mine didn't survive the winter. I guess my attempts to keep it water weren't enough. We had a very mild, but dry winter.

12. John67x

John67x New Member

Don't give up on them yet, I have Bee Bee tree seedlings still just coming out of dormant state, although most have already. They do need regular watering over winter months to keep the roots healthy. I have them for sale in the for sale section of forum if anyone is interested in these trees.

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Out of 5 the only 1 that didn't survive was the one I brought in for the winter. The dog knocked the first 4 inches off the top and it hasn't sprouted this year like the other 4. I plan on getting more of these trees to plant in my forest. The loggers came through 2 summers ago and opened up the canopy so it gets lots of sun now.

On edit: Before chucking that 5th tree I looked really closely near the base and darned if that thing isn't sprouting green buds.....ITS ALIVE....

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Evodia trees 06-02-2012 There has been 12 to 18" of growth in the last month. :smile:

evodia trees 06-02-2012 (1).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (2).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (3).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (4).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (5).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (6).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (7).JPG evodia trees 06-02-2012 (8).JPG

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Evodia trees 7=2-2012

IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1561.jpg IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1563.jpg IMG_1564.jpg IMG_1565.jpg IMG_1566.jpg IMG_1567.jpg

16. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

September 8 2012

One tree is over 6 ft tall now and the other three are over 7 ft.

IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2044.jpg IMG_2045.jpg IMG_2046.jpg IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2048.jpg IMG_2049.jpg

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

18. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

Eddy the hydro crew are going to love those trees planted along the power lines especialy if they keep growing that fast! They have a lot of lines on those polls. the trees look great and healthy.

19. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks! The hydro crew thanks me for the job-security. :wink:

20. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

The problem with hydro is they don't employ arborists but tree butchers that don't care that they are hacking the crap out of someones trees at the wrong time of year. Trees should be pruned in the spring after the the hard frosts have left and before the sap starts to flow not in the middle of the summer when it 100 Deg F outside.