Did I catch a swarm?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by ndm678, May 24, 2016.

1. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I think I had a swarm move onto my porch. I have a partial hive there. I was cleaning up for package bees arriving this weekend. My hives died out over the winter.
    How do I know if this swarm has moved in, or is still in the 'checking it out' phase? Yesterday I had loads of traffic. There are bees cleaning out the dead and removing granulated sugar/honey. There is a good deal of drones coming and going as well. There is a few bees that are fanning near the entrance, not as many as you would see after installing a package. We didn't see the 'classic swarm' arrive, but we aren't here all the time.
    I've never worked with or even seen a swarm, I tried to find some info on this, but most of what I've found is shaking a swarm into a hive.
    The location they moved into isn't great. I don't even think I have 10 frames in the hive body, I know I don't have a inner cover on. When should I be able to open the hive up and check them out? I figure a week?

​Thanks

2. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

How long do u think they been there? Crack the lid an take a peak. An is that the hive u were planning on putting your package of bees in if? If so you may need to get busy on another hive for the package

3. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I'm guessing the bees showed up on Sunday or Monday. I pulled the frames from the freezer on Friday and put them outside to thaw and begin airing out. Bees started showing up within a few hours. The hive looked more organized on Sunday. On Monday they were doing all the mentioned activities. I wasn't home today to check them, it has been rainy all day. There is a crazy amount of dead bees in front of the hive.
    I intended to put a package into that hive, I also intended to put better frames in there too. I'm glad they like my shabby frames, I'm also glad they showed up.

4. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

They could possibly be just cleaning up but u need to make sure there aren't any eggs or brood before u add a package if there is eggs an brood you will have to install ur package into a different hive that is not occupied

5. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I'm not going to put a package in there now, that would be a disaster. I have more equipment, I took more frames from the freezer when I suspected a swarm moved in.
    At first I figured they were robbing/check out the comb. Once I saw the cleaning, drones coming and going, and fanning It looked like something had changed.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe they have taken up residence. your package will need a new hive.

7. ndm678

ndm678 Member

They certainly took up residence there. Deploying a new hive for the package was the easy part. The fun begins when I have to clean up the mess of having less than 10 frames in the hive the swarm now lives in.

8. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Update: I went into the hive and added the missing frames to make 10 (2 drawn, 1 foundation less). There was no 'free comb' thus, no clean up. There wasn't many bees, so I'm guessing this was a secondary swarm? I didn't inspect the hive,my main objective was to get the missing frames and inner cover in. I gave them some sugar syrup earlier in the week, they have used less then a pint in that time. It looks like dandelion boom is ending, so I will leave the feed in for the time being.

9. camero7

camero7 Member

Look for eggs/brood/queen. You may just have robbers

10. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Camero7, let's say this is a secondary swarm that moved in May 19th. Assuming they came with a virgin queen, what would you expect to see in regards to brood? I had 7 drawn frames in the hive body when they moved in.

11. camero7

camero7 Member

I would expect to see brood in about 3 weeks, maybe a little sooner. I would expect to see eggs and larvae in a couple of weeks or less.

12. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Update: This will be my final update on this hive. It has been a month since the swarm moved in. It appears it came with a mated queen because it's had brood emerging. It was a small swarm, I'm assuming someone near me keeps bees and wasn't checking their nucs. They have built out 3 foundation-less frames, repaired the mangled frames that were in there, and have covered about 7 (of 10) frames with brood. They have excellent honey stores considering how much brood they have. I added a 2nd deep.

13. camero7

camero7 Member

14. becsbeehive

becsbeehive New Member

Turned out quite well