Early spring

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by camero7, Feb 26, 2017.

1. camero7

camero7 Member

Pussy willows blooming which is 4 weeks earlier than last year. Also Red Maples

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

All the fruit trees are coming into bloom here, if we have a late freeze it will hurt them. Last freeze was first or 2nd week of january

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Going down to 5° tomorrow.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

got to 30 here last night. I had a summer squash in a pot that I didn't cover, but it only had its first set of leaves. It might live, it was under a tree

5. camero7

camero7 Member

Going down to 0° tonight. So much for the early spring. Going to get a foot of snow Tuesday

6. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

you got that right..lol..it was 60 degrees last week, this friday we got 3 inches of snow and below freezing and has stayed below freezing and like you said 12+ inches of snow predicted for tuesday..poor bees dont know what todo..

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

well long island got a break from this storm, but im upstate by oneonta and we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and the whole night to go...you can barley see out the windows its coming down so hard..

8. Gypsi2

Gypsi2 New Member

Had one last frost, will be 84 fairly consistently by the end of next week. Need to trap out the bees from the diesel tanks on my old truck. (they were cut off a diesel forklift and transported here.)

9. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

10. camero7

camero7 Member

We got about 14" but had blizzard conditions for 6-7 hours. The winds, which were sustained @ over 50mph devastated my nuc yard. tore the wraps off and scattered the nucs everywhere. All but one appear dead, full of snow and 5° - been the worst winter for me ever with bees.