Field Trip to BlueBlood's Bee Yard Awesome Day!

Discussion in 'Everything Kids' started by blueblood, Sep 25, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

They called it "Scott's Bee Farm." Which is just as fine a name as any. I hosted a field trip for the Middle School's special needs class today in my bee yard. This is the school in the city I police. I was able to teach them in class one of the days I worked security about bees. I thought it was awesome having a big yellow school bus in my drive personally! I was very impressed with the vocabulary their teacher has taught them over the past month. They enjoyed a walk through the wild flowers in the field. Saw bees working hard on the asters and goldenrod collecting pollen and nectar. Butterflies and other pollinators were hard at work also. The numerous other insects like crickets and hoppers were overpowering even the handsome level of speech 20 young children can produce! I opened up the yellow top bar and brought a frame of bees and capped honey to them to see up close. And, a very rare treat, the queen made an appearance! All of the children were able to see her up close which was very cool! See a photos of her below. I took a top bar full of capped honey back to the house and cut chunks of sweet honey comb for all to enjoy. MMMM, GOOD! A couple young men said they wanted to keep bees someday. I was very honored and humbled to teach the children about the honey bee. And, no stings!! :grin: This is what it's all about and makes all the hard work with keeping worthwhile.
    Bee Farm 001.jpg Bee Farm 002.jpg Bee Farm 004.jpg Bee Farm 008.jpg Bee Farm 009.jpg bee farm 10 queen.jpg Bee Farm 012.jpg Bee Farm 014.jpg Bee Farm 016.jpg Bee Farm 019.jpg

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Good for you. What an educational treat you supplied for the youngsters. Something they will never forget. :thumbsup:

Walt

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Key lime buddy, you deserve it! :thumbsup:

key lime.jpg

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ah, you remembered. Key lime is my most favorite slice of all!! :grin:

5. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Dave, way to go! That was a blessing I know. You done good. Enjoy your pie.

6. riverbee

riverbee New Member

awesome dave, just very cool! and great photos! thank you!

ps.....you need a haircut.......:lol:

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Well done. Very impressed. :thumbsup:

I wonder if a big yellow bus will appear regularly in your drive. :grin:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks River, yes, I actually need a trim...can't stand it being longer than a two week growth.

Thanks Barbarian, I do hope to host many more field trips.

9. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Great work Dave, That's the kind of work policemen should always be doing. Help all the kids find their way along the right path so you don't have to return them to it after they've wandered off. Open their eyes to the wonders of nature. Show them that a policeman has an educational function and isn't only a disciplinarian. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clapping::yahoo: