How to add pictures to your post

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

I thought I would do a quick tutorial on using the upload function of the forum to add pictures to a post.

The first step is to start a new topic (the topic reply button works the same). Right under the posting block is the upload attachment block, here is where you will add your attachment:

[attachment=3:r782gtq9]step1.gif[/attachment:r782gtq9]

Once the picture has been chosen then you can add an optional comment and click the "Add the File" button to attach a picture to the post.

[attachment=2:r782gtq9]step1a.gif[/attachment:r782gtq9]

A little popup window comes up to show you the file being uploaded. The posting block will now have a new section for attachments. If you've uploaded multiple pictures this will be a drop down that lets you choose from your attachments. Choose the attachment you would like to add to your post, then click the "place inline" button

[attachment=1:r782gtq9]step1b.gif[/attachment:r782gtq9]

You will see the code for the added picture but not the actual picture itself, if you would like to see your post with the picture in it then click the preview button.

[attachment=0:r782gtq9]step1c.gif[/attachment:r782gtq9]

That's about it, just repeat the process until you have all of your pictures uploaded. There is a 2 meg size limit on pictures so you'll want to reduce the size of your pictures if they are too big.

Attachments are also shown as clickable thumbnails to save space :)

Hope you guy's find this helpful, now go post some pictures!

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am a techno dinosaur Charles so I hate to bother you with this little problem. When I punch the 'new topic' button nothing shows up that looks like a Browse button in the filename section.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec, beside the word filename is a one line window. On the right end of the window is the word browse. Just click on it.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

There is still no Browse Button on my 'new thread' form but I think I got one picture posted anyway. You can clearly see whey the dinosaurs went extinct.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you click on "new topic", it has 3 windows, if you scroll down. The middle window has two headings on the left. One says file name, the other says file comment.

At the right edge of the small window beside the word filename, is the word browse. Click on the word browse.

You can see it on the first and second pics Charles posted above.

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Well that is very bizarre Tec, I can't seem to duplicate the problem. I see you've posted 2 images now, how are you doing it?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

still no browse button here beside the filename block, but for some reason it doesn't seem necessary????

I think I have successfully posted two pictures in the photo section????? and maybe the heat got to me and I am just delusional?

Charles question just came in. Still no browse button at the end of the filename block.

What I did was:
    I punch the 'new topic' buttom and fill in the Subject box. I then click on the filename box and choose come up and my desk top pops up at the top of the screen. I have chosen jpg from there and then I punch 'add the file' and then submit.

maybe bein' a weanie mac guy we don't get issued browse buttons???

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm on a Mac and have the browse button, but I'm using firefox. If you are using internet explorer or netscape, feed it to the dinosaurs and download firefox.

9. Charles

Charles New Member

hmmm a mac aye, I'll investigate further :)

10. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Yep he is correct , I dont have it on the iPad either.......but can still find a file
    Using Safari

I use all systems depending where i am located , IE on corp PC. Firefox on XP and Vista and Win 7 depending on which PC/laptop. And Safari on iPad or iMac. Also use BBerry at times.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like Zulu I am using Safari on my mini mac.

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I use IE with Vista. I do have a browse button.

13. Charles

Charles New Member

The disappearing button is there for safari and google chrome, I'll see if I can come up with a workaround...

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would like to add a picture to my 'avatar' image with my post. how might one do this?

15. Zulu

Zulu New Member

On left go to "user control panel"
    From there click on "Profile"
    Then click on " Edit avatar"

And upload a pic

16. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Also Tec if you're having trouble with the pic size loading or if you want an animated avatar you can click on "link off site" and download from a pic host site like "Photobucket"( http://photobucket.com/ ),but the pic will need to always remain in Photobucket to be seen.

This site(the site does ask for a very small donation,but you don't have to to download avatars,I tossed em a buck anyway) has some cool animated avatars that can be easily downloaded to Phtobucket(even for a "Dinotec") :lol:

http://www.heathersanimations.com/bees1.html

To download an animated avatar just hover over the one you want then "right click" then click on "save image as..." that will download it to your pics file on your computer,from there download to Photobucket.Once in Photobucket hover over the avatar and it will drop down then just click on direct link it will automatically copy it,then "paste it into the "link off site box then submit.The same can be done for an avatar that isn't animated but too big for the "upload from your machine box".

You can also use Photobucket for a quick easy way to download pics to your threads and posts by clicking on "Img" then paste the pic link(that automatically copied from Photobucket the same as adding an avatar)and it very quick and easy.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think Zulu lead me to a solution. the picture(s) I wanted to use are slightly over acceptable size so I need to confront that problem.

thanks for the help...

18. The Bix

The Bix New Member

Charles,

After I hit the upload button, I get a red error message, "The extension is not allowed", at the top of the new topic window. What'd I do wrong?

--JB

19. Charles

Charles New Member

Hey JB sounds like your trying to upload a file type that we don't support. You can upload files of this type: gif, jpeg, jpg, png, tga, tif, tiff.

The most common type of file that is not supported is bmp, These files are typically very large and actually pose a security risk as a spammer can embed hidden code inside the picture to do bad things to us ;-)

If you'd like I can convert the picture for you, email it to me at charles@ctcdesign.com

20. The Bix

The Bix New Member

Charles, you're right. They were jpg files, but when I saved them on my computer for some reason they save as doc files. I'll try again.