How's your veggie garden in 2012...?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Omie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

We seem to be getting Spring almost a month early here in NY...yikes!
    Good thing I had most of the garden cleanup done last Fall, 'cause things are already busy here now.

What a glorious day! almost 70F and sunny. I wanted to do everything- bike ride, beekeeping here at home, and planting veggie seed out in the veggie garden. But no time for everything, so I settled for working in the vegetable garden for about 3 hours.
    Cleaning up, digging and hoeing, and I direct-seeded in the ground: green shelling peas, sugar snap peas, spinach, broccoli rabe, radishes, kale, and some lettuces. In a few more days I'll plant seed for carrots and raddichio too. All are cool-loving plants, since we are liable to get a few more frosts here up north still. Lots of digging in the sun, felt so good! Got myself a fancy new deep-digging fork as a treat.
    The whole garden is just bare brown earth now, but I can see the little green sprouts pushing up in rows if I imagine hard enough. :grin:
    There were some little neighborhood native mason bees that liked my periwinkle blue skirt and kept landing on it- thinking i was a giant morning glory. I kept my nectar and pollen to myself- can't afford to lose any this late in the game! lol!
    It's SPRING, yay!!!! :D

How does your veggie garden grow this year?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have not even turned the garden yet, should have done it last fall.

Johnson grass has taken over everything.

Not even sure I will plant anything.....................as of yet.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It seems like every time I have a day off, it's raining or tornadoes or whatever. It's too wet to plow the garden, but I do have a good crop of henbit growing there and the bees are ok with that.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Greg said, Hen bit is everywhere around here. It's been dry here and i got three fields plowed for sweet corn (sometime in April) Had 1/2 in. of rain last Sunday, but the wind dried everything out and i planted potato's yesterday, always planted them on St. patricks day or good friday before? I hope mother nature isn't setting us all up for a big supprise freeze in April.:shock: Going to my northern bee yards today to check hives for stores and brood, (in the lower 80's today) With all the warm weather we've had, they are probably building up and need syrup. Jack

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

We had rain Sunday evening so it'll be another day or two before I can play in the dirt. Planted 2, 30' long double rows of Green Arrow peas last Friday before we went out of town. I suspect I'll start seeing some green tomorrow or the next day. Radishes and spinach are planted, my second sowing of radishes will be sowed with carrot seed. The radishes make a nice row marker for the carrots and help with thinning the carrots as well. The 3 year old tomato seeds still had acceptable germination with the exception of Cherokee Purple. Now I'm going to need to find homes for some of the extra tomato plants, maybe I can convince a few people to plant a few tomato plants after giving them some freebies.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm holding out. Heard peepers for the first time this morning, and was reminded of the old saying that "Peepers will freeze three times" before spring. I'm also planning a garden expansion (may be wishful thinking with my available time) and, unlike Omie, did NOT do fall garden clean-up!

7. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Ever since I planted grass in our lawn many many years ago (at my wife's request), there's been little room for veggies. But I still try to squeeze in a few anyway.
    Today I planted 6 tomato seedlings given to me by my son. They were left-overs from those he planted in his hybrid seed producing hothouses. (In another few weeks he'll be planting the second variety, the one that will be pollinated from this first batch)

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

When I was a kid growing up in North Ga. we had a graden every year and who was the one that had to hoe, throw manure around,pull weeds and the rest that goes along with a graden, ME. As you can quess I have not had a graden at all, except plant tomato in 5 gal buckets, and to tell the truth I am not planting one now, I was burned out good on a graden when I was young. That was 62 years ago when I last did anything in a graden.

Kebee

9. Omie

Omie New Member

The older I get the more i like to garden, especially raising fresh things that we can eat. I kind of like hoeing, wheelbarrowing mulch and manure, even weeding is not so awful with a scuffle hoe. Nothing like fresh crispy salad, cucumbers, fresh picked green beans, fresh cole slaw from your own cabbage...and of course fresh sliced ripe red tomatoes! mmmm......
    Then I get a l-o-n-g break from gardening all winter, so when Spring comes I'm all rarin' to get started again! :smile:

This morning I went out and planted a few little rows of different colored carrots, and radicchio. I love to braise red radicchio wedges in a pan and top with a little vinaigrette and fresh grated romano.

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Omie, you're making me hongrey!

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Omie, what kind of food do you Yanks eat, radicchio wedges with vinaigrette, and romano:???: Never heard of it. Romano maybe, isn't that a cheese? Jack
    PS. i"ve never ate grits with cheese either.:lol:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

What would you prefer, fried pork jowl ice cream corn dogs maybe ? :shock: :lol:

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, thanks for the recipe, sounds like a good appetizer to go with my jowl's.:lol: Jack

14. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I finished planting my garden 2 weeks ago,and everything is doing well,with the exception of the black eye and zipper peas(which I resowed yesterday).

[​IMG]

These are potatoes(did I spell that right Dan?:rolling::rotfl:),2 variety's,red Pontiac and gold fingerling.To the right is 3 types of watermelon( crimson seedless and 2 types of Moon and satrs melons)and some honeydew melons[​IMG]

Next is our favorite veggie,Florida stay sweet corn,and to the right is okra(and yes Iddee I planted extra to make you some canned okra and tomatoes:grin:)[​IMG]

and here is the last of the winter carrots with 2 types of bush beans,Calima and Blue Lake beans(the beans are planted with 2 rows on both sides of the crown of the row to get double the yield:thumbsup:) ,with 2 different types of hot peppers to the right,Cayenne and Peter Peppers.[​IMG]

I also have 2 pineapples coming out early,the Hawaiian's are the prettiest with the purple petals.[​IMG]

15. Omie

Omie New Member

At least it won't 'add to' your jowls. lol!

Wow Crackerbee- ! I am envious of your wonderful big yard with all the vast expanse for garden and beehives. What a great garden! :thumbsup:

(you obviously have no hungry deer over there :| )

16. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

No deer here Omie(if there was they'd be in the freezer:lol:)

The only critters getting in the garden is my chickens(already dug up 2 rows of beans:ranting:),and they've been sequestered to the coop until the garden grows more so they're not as likely to tear it up,they can be on insect patrol then:thumbsup:.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds good to me. I'll can the venison and we both will have veggie and ""beef?"" soup. :D

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I just got mine turned over tonight, getting a late start for sure.

19. efmesch

efmesch New Member

G3farms said: I just got mine turned over tonight,
    Ef asks: Were you referring to your avatar?
    :wink:

20. jb63

jb63 New Member

G3, I can't resist asking if you are planning a trip to Australia.Being down under should fix your avatar.