How's your veggie garden in 2012...?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Omie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

efmesch, you have more than I do and proably more than I will have for I hate gardens, may change later on but doubt it.

kebee

2. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Kebee...As far as exercise goes, it's more productive than having to use a walking machine that does the walking for you. Almost as good as beekeeping is to keep you in shape. :roll:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have tilled a new garden spot this year to get it closer to a water source. It's about 15x45 and will be growing mainly tomato varities as normal. I have pretty good luck selling them roadside at my house. My plants are all in the cold frame still growing. It will be at least another 3-4 weeks before the ground will be warm enough for planting. Trying something new this year for water. I purchased a drip irrigation system. WWW.dripdepot.com sells some pretty solid products. I bought the 140 plant garden drip kit and will be applying 3' wide platic this year to keep weeds down and heat/moisture in the dirt. Those two items should free up more time to spend with the bees. The garden pictured a few replies upward looked really nice!

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It seems like every time I have an off day it's raining. But we've had a little bit of dry weather so we got a dump truck load of mushroom compost and I'm putting that into the garden and am going to till it in before we start planting.

2012-03-30_10-50-15_584.jpg

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice machine! Your not messin around!

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thanks! It's just about the right size for the small amount of land that I have. I have a tiller, backhoe, disc harrow, turning plow and bush hog for it, along with the front end loader. It takes a lot of the effort out of gardening. And it gets harder to get around every year.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Well our 17F night the other night killed off some of my baby seedlings- the broccoli rabe, carrots raddichio, radish. But the freeze didn't faze my peas, sugar snaps, spinach, and lettuces at all. Good thing i bought extra seed packets just for the occasion! Nice weather in the frorecast for the next two weeks, so I'll be replanting the ones that froze, no problem! :)

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I just went out to my cold frame and put two lamps on my seedlings...started a fire in my wood stove inside...can't believe I am firing it up again...

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Last year we had 11" of rain. So far this year we've had 15". The garden is doing well.

The second planting of lettuce is coming up, good germination with the corn, tomatoes have blossoms starting, peppers look good, and squash and cucumbers are coming along. It won't be too much longer for the potatoes, and the garlics and onions will be early. The second planting of broccoli may not make it...starting to get warm, but we have small snow peas and the other peas will be in blossom next week.

We had great luck with the carrots we planted last fall. They were the best we've had here.

Walt

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We need a rain, had 3.5 in. rain three weeks ago and not a drop since:roll: Temp. the last two nights in low forties and upper thirties, with light frost to the east of me.With garlic, lettuce,radish, spinach,onions,potato, beets, green beans, and a half acre of sweet corn, up and looking good, the weather got my attention. All but the green beans and sweet corn can take a light freeze and i have till May 15, to worry about frost.With the weird weather were having i'm thinking about putting out tomatoe's, not so many that i can't cover them, and maybe an acre of sweet corn. Why not:???: farming is just a gamble anyway. :roll: Jack

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got the truckload of mushroom compost tilled into the garden. Haven't had time to plant things yet. Although, that's a good thing because it was 33F (0.5C) this morning with frost. It's been dry lately, and I need to get water on the fruit trees we planted, and moisten up the garden a little for planting.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Greg, I've got to ask. What's mushroom compost? and what is it used for? Never heard of it. Jack

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Mushroom Compost
    comes from a mushroom farm. It is dark, rich, stuff they grow the mushrooms in (or on?). There's a Monterey Mushroom farm in Loudon, TN which is about 20 miles from here (as the crow flies).

I could make bricks out of the clay I have around here. So sand and compost are really good additions to the soil. I have a compost box and a tumbler, but it would take years to get a truckload.

My garden is 85 X 42 feet this year (maybe larger next year). I have to have chicken wire around it to keep Thumper out of it. I had netting up to 10 feet high, but Bambi would still jump over it. I may try electric fence this year if I have any extra cash.

If I get out today, I'll try to take a picture. Here's a picture of my dad standing in front of the dumped compost:

2012-03-20_18-55-43_839.jpg

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Greg:

I read an article years ago about using 2 rows of fencing, an inner row and an outer row, seperated by a few feet. This kept the deer from jumping it. Then the gardener went one step further and put fencing over the top and let chickens run between the 2 rows. I always thought that was an interesting way of doing things.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Greg, I thought it must be something like that. Most of my farm land has 6 to 10 in. of top soil and then you hit clay, makes for good crops. I'm very fortunate. Jack

16. Omie

Omie New Member

ooooh that mushroom compost looks like pure gold! :Dancing:

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

You can always pick out the gardener by his or her reaction to dirt! :grin:

18. Omie

Omie New Member

We northern-ish types are of course way behind you southern gardeners season-wise, but today was just gorgeous- 65F and sunny! I was out planting lots of seeds right in the garden:
    Swiss chard, bok choy, some regular orange carrots, buttercrunch and head lettuce, scallions, and some more spinach. (can you tell we like lots of greens?)
    Tomorrow I'll plant more seed for radishes and red leaf lettuce.
    Still a month away from being able to plant green beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers- way too chilly yet!