Lots of small swarms?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Tyro, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

Ok - so for the last two days, I have picked up three small swarms from the honey locust bushes around my beeyard. I have about 12 hives and 6 nucs in the yard. I am nearly certain that they came from my hives - although a superficial check of my biggest hives indicates that they didn't swarm (will be doing full inspections this weekend).

All of the swarms are small - maybe softball to 2x softball size. The biggest one covered almost 4 frames. I caught them all and put them in nucs.

Has anyone else had this experience or know what is happening? I mark my queens, so when they establish themselves, I will be able to see if they are parent queens from my hives. Otherwise, I am not sure what is going on with them.

Also interesting - the swarms all happened right before major storms were moving through our area. I read somewhere, many years ago, that swarming activity increases in front of storms. If my recollection is correct - the last two days certainly support that idea.

Mike

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

You haven't lost a large swarm that these might be follow ups to?

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

I thought about that and went through my biggest hives today. I did find two interesting things:

1. I keep overwinter nucs and then sell them in the spring. I sell 5-frames (3-4 frames of brood + queen and a frame of honey). Usually, there are at least 1 or 2 frames of eggs extra (they are 5-over5 nucs). I leave these, sometimes they pull a queen and I let them start over again. I boxed up the nuc WITH the marked queen on 1 April. I caught the swarms on the 4th and 5th. I checked the nuc and it already had an unmarked queen - so I suspect that at least one of the swarms came from that nuc. When I pulled the marked queen and most of the brood for the nuc, there were no swarm cells on the brood frames I pulled and I didn't notice any on the frames left behind. Perhaps there were a couple of recently hatched virgins in there (?). When I removed the queen who would normally swarm, the urge to swarm didn't disappear and one of the new queens swarmed with a small number of bees (? just guessing) (Note: I checked today and all three swarms have unmarked queens).

2. One of my bigger hives probably produced at least one of the swarms. I mark my queens and in one good hive I found a really fat unmarked queen. So I think it swarmed. I marked her. I run double deeps and when I went into the bottom deep, lo and behold, I found another unmarked queen. She *might* be the original queen - she was pretty sluggish and not as active as the first one. I pulled her out on a frame of brood and dropped her in a 3-frame nuc that I have. I will see what she does.

that is all the info presently. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has had similar experiences or insights.
    Mike

4. Gypsi

I've had a removal that had swarmed before I removed, swarm again after in a hive, and again about 3 weeks later. did the same thing in the fall too. Because the bees were feral I don't know what strain but they were pretty consistent about it. Lost them in 2012 during the EFB outbreak, they robbed the sick hive. Bees I have now don't do the re-swarm thing.

5. Gypsi

I can't edit my own post. lost in 2013 I need to know how to operate this software.

6. Gypsi

I can't edit my own post. lost in 2013 I need to know how to operate this software.