Newbee Again: Medium or Deep Brood boxes

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by treeman4646, Nov 24, 2016.

1. treeman4646

treeman4646 New Member

I want to thank everyone who replied to my last question...
    I'm about an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario - hunting around for bees to start 2017.
    Pretty much all I can find around here is four frame nucs, pretty sure they are all deeps.
    I have read several books and many of them suggest to use medium boxes for brood (3 mediums instead of 2 deeps) for the ease of handling as they fill up. This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering if bees prefer deeps over mediums or vice versa.
    I understand that full deeps could be a bear to handle but I'm more interested in what is best for the bees (I'll worry about my back later).
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

2. beebuzzed

beebuzzed New Member

I'm not sure if they prefer one to another, but something to consider is how many hives do you plan on keeping. The cost, and your time will be affected by the decision you debate. You will be spending more money with the additional frames which could really add up with multiple hives. The other thing to consider is how much more time it will take to do a full hive inspection. That's 8 to 10 more frames to look through per hive. Just something to think about.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Just be sure to standardize. I have moved to all deeps for my brood chambers and all shallows for my honey. My bad back kind of dictated this.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I use deeps for brood and mediums for honey, but have started some medium nuc boxes to facilitate going to mediums for both one day

5. paint504

paint504 Member

It doesn't matter what you use it all depends on how much you want to lift. Here in Florida I use one deep and the rest are supers.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

as I get older those deeps come apart in 2 nuc boxes if they are full of honey, move out 5 frames at a time. which is why I think I should go all medium one day

7. chaossmurf

chaossmurf New Member

what part of florida ? im in Beverly hills myself

8. paint504

paint504 Member

I live in Naples