Oxalic Acid Vapor for mites

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I had arm surgery in mid December and was off working ponds too much in November. One of my hives has no mites on the sticky board, it is a first year combine of several small nucs with one large one. So I am not treating it.

The 3 box survivor bee wonder hive on the other hand had at least 70 mites on the sticky board that I counted on December 14th, so I had a member of bee club come help me do the lifting, get a sticky board taped in and sealed up the top well and we hit it with OAV. Because I had surgery a couple of days later and it needs a 2nd and 3rd treatment if I can fit them in, in winter, I left it taped up, and will treat again tomorrow if the temps are in the treatment range. the vapor must be applied above 4 Centigrade, or 39.2 Fahrenheit, and it is supposed to be 46 here tomorrow.

I have much to do getting ready for spring, but treating for mites on my most productive hive is a good idea, and the OAV doesn't spoil the honey.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

No, it doesn't actually accumulate in honey any more than the natural amount that's in there already, according to a couple of studies I read.

3. Gypsi

that is what I'd heard before I bought a vaporizer. Unfortunately it wasn't really warm enough today, hoping to get to them tomorrow. I touched the entrance and one angry guard bee came out to greet me. fortunately I was faster...(no veil)

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I'm moving to Randy's glycerine/oxalic towels this spring.

5. paint504

paint504 Member

how effective is this Oxalic acid vaporizer in killing varroa mites?

6. Gypsi

I had very good knockdown rates last year. first application got 200 mites out of one of my hives. Less on the next 2. It does not penetrate capped brood so the best time to use it is when broodless. Is said to be hard on uncapped brood, but it IS hard on mites. About to have to treat despite the probable presence of uncapped brood, couldn't lift after surgery and no help available. Didn't get it done before our cold front. Only managed on treatment in december

7. paint504

paint504 Member

Ok well that's good to know because I just bought all the equipment minus a battery and I plan on doing my first treatment soon.

8. paint504

paint504 Member

How much Oxalic acid do I use per hive?

9. camero7

camero7 Member

Randy Oliver had an article on Glycerine/oxalic that sounds very good in ABJ. If you don't get it he'll eventually post it on his web site. Hopefully before spring.

10. Gypsi

I don't do the dribble at all.

Experience trumps quotes. I have been using 1 gram of savogran per deep or 2 mediums and that might be correct, but the 71% oxalic acid isn't correct per the manufacturer. Go with Camero's interpretation. 2 grams per normal hive, meaning, probably 1 gram per deep. Camero please chime in.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  11. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

12. camero7

camero7 Member

Use at least 2gms for a normal hive. I use more without problems but that is the recognized safe dosage.

13. Gypsi

I underdosed, did a deep and 2 mediums and used 2 grams. but the 71% oxalic acid is wrong per one of the commercial guys on beesource. 91 to 99 % oxalic acid is supposed to be more accurate. Fixing my post. Camero scroll up and check me? I may go pull an MSDS on Savogran and post it

14. paint504

paint504 Member

Wow so I just did a mite test and I have a hive that had about 100 mites on the sticky board. Tomorrow I'm treating but was wondering how long should I wait till my next treatment. Should I take off my honey supers before treating?

15. Gypsi

you do not have to remove honey supers for OAV. It is recommended to treat every 7 days to reach different stages of brood

16. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I disagree, I believe you should always remove supers when treating with anything. But if you vaporizer, you can put them back on shortly after treating once the vapor has time to disapate.

17. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

With that said, you definitely want all the bees to have contact with the OAV for most impact. If you have supers on, I personally would use a escape board for a few hours before a planned treatment and then pull the supers, treat, then replace supers a hour or so later.

18. Gypsi

"With that said, you definitely want all the bees to have contact with the OAV for most impact. If you have supers on, I personally would use a escape board for a few hours before a planned treatment and then pull the supers, treat, then replace supers a hour or so later."

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Good point BeeBuzzed

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  19. paint504

paint504 Member

20. paint504

paint504 Member

I got "em good you guys weren't lying that treatment really did a good job.