Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Jamisonbrooks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

i am new to beekeeping and have a lot of questions. For starters how long will it take for a queen to lay broud in a new hive? And do pollen patties help the qween lay faster?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Depends on the queen. Some start laying immediately and some wait a few days. In any event you should be able to see larvae in 10 days. Pollen patties do not make the queen lay faster but they do insure the hive has enough feed for the new bees.

3. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

Thanks for that info what about suger water dose it help the bees, can I add some honey to it, and when do I can I pull off the feeder and add it back on?

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Sugar water will insure the bees survive on cold days or rainy days when they can't fly. It will also stimulate the queen to lay if she isn't.. I would feed as long as they are taking it or until about 7-8 frames are filled out.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I do not feed honey unless I know what hive it came from because it can carry viruses that only a bee would notice. Just syrup and pollen substitute here. What part of the world are you in?