Remember this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Eddy Honey, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

One of my friends asked me if I remember these days from my childhood. Apparently, we didn't do this at my school or I was skipping school on these days...lol. I started school in 1969 and we never did this. Plus when I was in school everything was in color lol.

I never did ask what are they hiding from?

bomb-drill.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A bomb attack. Many bomb shelters were made and stocked at that time also.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I remember having air raid drills in school. I lived in Akron, Ohio, which was, at the time, the rubber capital of the world. It was drilled into us that when (not "if") the Soviets attacked, they'd start at the steel mills in Pittsburgh and Youngstown, and then wipe out the rubber factories in Akron.

All the entrances of the school had the yellow and black signs identifying the school as a fallout shelter:
    http://www.orau.org/ptp/articlesstories/radwarnsymbstory.htm

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Yep, in the late 1950's I remeber we did the air raid drills....jumping down under our desks with the slogan "Duck and Cover"!.....like that would protect us from an atomic bomb or something. :roll:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

We did, too. But I think it should have been put your head between your knees and kiss it goodbye. :eek:

Sent from my DROID X2

6. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

We called it "duck and cover"- for an atomic bomb attack we got under our desks because the desk top would supposedly give protection from fallout. Living in Oklahoma we got in the same position but lining the hallways during tornado alerts because one side of the classroom was windows and flying glass was a very real threat!

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Lewis Black has a wonderful take on the nuclear "duck and cover". But, being Lewis Black, it's a little raw. You can find it on YouTube if you want.

Walt

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I remember those too. I would guess that was around the Bay of Pigs time. We had the fallout shelter signs as well. But I have no idea where in the building it was at. Anyone remember the blasting caps public service announcements that would come on tv? That scared me worse.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember. Radiation protection?
    None.

10. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Sorry to have to say it, but with the belicose threats coming our way from the east, I get that queasy feeling in my stomach today. Forget the fifties--the world hasn't changed much, just the names.:frustrated:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have been reading the news in your part of the world lately Efmesch, and it makes me feel uncomfortable for you. Stay safe.

12. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Unfortunately it's not up to me---as much as I can try to stay safe, against the Iranian atomic threats, nothing I can do is any more effective than hiding under the school seats in the picture at the head of this thread.
    Let's just hope that they don't get the BOMB in the end.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

He's the best :lol: He's got a good one on "Why travel across Canada" as well. :lol:

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes I do. I can also recall that at the time I thought it all seemed pretty foolish.

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got to meet Slim Pickens years ago when I was a kid. It's funny when you google him, this is one of the first items you get:

sr4z61v2v5t65tu0.jpg

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what the image is - looks like he's riding a rocket. But we are all children in larger hands. Read Desiderata. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The Image is from Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

It is a Peter Sellers movie from the 1960s.

The US sends planes to bomb Russia and can't call them back and it supposedly sets off a doomsday device. Slim Pickens is shown riding an H-bomb that has just been released from the plane (It was hung and wouldn't drop, so he sat on it to fix the mechanism, and when it released, he was on it).