Trying to find a solution: 7 5/8" deep super

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by hydrocynus, Jan 28, 2017.

1. hydrocynus

hydrocynus New Member

Hello,
    first post to this forum. My wife bought about 300 frames from a retired commecial beekeep for langstroth hive bodies which are 7 1/4" long (that was super cheap $25 with other stuffs including queen rearing stuff wax foundations etc.). With this came 2 super hive bodies which are 7 5/8" deep and hold 10 frames. From my understanding, 3/4 supers with these dimensions were popular in the past when 1 by 8 boards were actually .75" thick and 7 5/8" wide. However, I cannot find them anymore as they are now 7 1/4" wide (we are getting ripped off).

I have tried to find inexpensive solutions (I do have a wood shop) and the cheapest and most practical seems to get 8' by 4' marine plywood at the local Lowes which retails for about $75. I can then cut 7 hive bodies out of that (actually 7.5 hive bodies) for about $10 a hive body which should last a very long time since it is marine 3/4" thick plywood.

The other option would be to splice three piece of 1 by 3 furring strip boards (which are often a challenge to get straight) for a final cost of about 4-5 dollars a hive body.

What do you guys think? and do you know of a supplier who carries 7 5/8" hive bodies (I checked Mann Lake but they no longer carry them).

Cheers to all.
    ‚Äč

News:
    I just called MannLake Ltd and I found out that they do have 7 5/8 hive bodies (in all three grades they carry). Cost is however $13.95 a hive body. gandmhoney also carry some for about the same price. I guess, I will just build mine out of marine plywood then. Hope this info can be useful for some.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know where to find the deeper hive bodies. I guess the problem is those frames won't fit anything less. The marine plywood isn't treated with any pesticides or chemicals is it?

3. hydrocynus

hydrocynus New Member

Marine plywood is not treated wood. The difference is that the ply of woods are glued with epoxy glue that is impervious to water and thus does not delaminate.

I decided to go with the splicing of 3 furring strip wood boards. One 4" sandwitched between 2 3". Cost per hive body is then about less than 4 bucks.

I found the source of 7 5/8 hive bodies but the price is about 13-14 bucks plus the shipping which is high. No local bee suppliers sell these.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Plywood is heavy, that's why most hives are not made from them. You'll need a strong back or a mechanical mover. I would trash the frames, order new ones and cut the foundation to fit.

5. hydrocynus

hydrocynus New Member

Well, I decided to keep the frames and I built 6 boxes made out of boards I spliced together. Looking good and light with box joints. However, I did buy an 8 by 4 3/4" sheet of marine plywood that was heavily discounted at my shop ($35 a piece!). I will make supers out of them. For mediums, the cost will be about $3.5 a piece and the shop cuts the pieces, so I only need to make the dado box joints (I have a jig for that) and the pockets for the handles (jig for that too). The difference in weight compared to the weight of honey is negligible (and I still am strong/athletic young man, so I might switch to lighter wood later on).

Probably great wood to make a Kenyan hive too. At that price, I might buy more.

Thank you all.

Serge

6. Gypsi

I still use 10 frame deep boxes, and I am not a spring chicken, but I am gradually trying to scale down to medium equipment, and I last lifted a full dual box hive in 2012, and that cost me several visits to a massage therapist to straightenin my back out. I have extra boards and I take them apart to move them and set each box aside on my little bee table that wanders around the apiary with me. But I didn't take up bees until I was 52. and then I was a young one at my local bee club. We have since added a lot of younger beekeepers thank goodness

7. camero7

camero7 Member

I was young and strong once too:) Glad it's working for you

8. Gypsi

I'm going to sit this arm wrestle out