Warré Hive Inspection! Need Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by beezykeeper, May 8, 2015.

1. beezykeeper

beezykeeper New Member

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I am not a Warre keeper.

I don't like to put honeycomb out for the bees to clear up. In my area this could start robbing and there is always the risk of visiting bees bringing disease.

For jar feeders, I like to make the holes in the cap very small with a hot fine needle. With day and night temperature variation you can get the syrup in the feeder expanding and contracting. This makes a pumping action.

3. sakers1220

sakers1220 New Member

You can take hair clips and zip ties and put comb onto top bars. Bees will attach and then you cut out clip later

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

also if you have a feeder with drilled openings resting directly on wood it will seep. I use only glass jars and I get the lids from Dadant as the holes are drilled small enough and glass shrinks and expands less. I agree that leaving honeycomb out for the bees to rob can draw other bees to your yard to rob your hive. A plastic hair clip ziptied to the top bar can clip the comb to the frame.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

I never worry about the pumping action. See it every morning. Bees clean it right up. I use 1/16" drill bit for the holes in my buckets and jars.