$1.95 Bluebird House

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by blueblood, Jun 22, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi friends, I just thought I would share this with you if you were, by chance, looking for an affordable and easy bluebird house to build. I found some plans for this house online but adjusted them by using one 1/2" x 6" (5-1/2" real size) x 6' cedar dog ear picket board that is normally priced at $1.95/board. You will use roughly 52 inches of the 72" board and can save the remaining portion for 2/5 of another house. I drilled pilot holes for the pivot nails but did not need nail holds for the bottom because the fit was snug enough. That may change when the wood is exposed to the weather. Note: the clean-out side where the pivots will naturally recess if you start the build from the other side flush. It worked out well for me as it held the clean-out door in better. I used Titebond glue and narrow crown staples. You could use small screws or nails just the same. Remember to clean out the box at the end of the season. A little 1:10 bleach/water solution is helpful. Bluebirds won't build in a dirty box. Also, that is a 1-1/2" hole suitable for bluebirds. I drilled this one too low. It should be more under the protection of the overhang. Wrens will also like this box and unfortunately house finches. You may adjust the hole for the bird species you are hoping for. Finally, I don't use perches to avoid problems with predation. Place no less than 4 or 5 feet from ground (predation) and face toward bush, shrubbery, trees so adult birds can spot the hole and baby birds will be pointed toward the cover/safety when they exit for the first time. Avoid direction of prevailing winds also.

0621121940c.jpg 0621121941.jpg 0621121940b.jpg 0622121037.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good post, but I can buy them ready made at the local flea market for 4.00 each. Add that to ""I HATE WOODWORKING"", and I have bought 5 at a time twice. 10 Bluebird houses in my different yards.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I should have had a disclaimer....if you dislike woodworking as our friend Iddee does, go to the flea market and get your houses. I love woodworking on the other hand. The aroma of cedar being cut adds to the enjoyment.

Also, if you were wondering, bluebirds like chickens and such, will eat bees along with other insects. But, my understanding is that the drones are the victims not the workers. I would venture to say nature has understood stinging insects are not pleasant to swallow.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I bought a couple last year at the Mennonite community. They're made out of cedar. The construction is heavy duty and I think they would make it through a hurricane. LOL But my dad is the woodworker and he has tried several variations. He says you can never have enough scrap lumber. I guess he's right.

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a good reference Walt...

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Both are good posts, thanks guys.