1 swarm is queenless, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Jimdo64, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

Hi guys, first thanks for all yoru help on here, this site is a tremendous resource for us neophyte beeks.

One of the swarms I caught this spring is queenless, its been 4+ weeks since I caught it, and they only filled out 3 frames. I pulled them all today looking for a queen. There isint one, and no brood either. Only nectar and pollen. And the bee population is diminishing fast. What should I do with this hive? I have 2 other hives, the original I had and another swarm I caught. Both are doing great. Do I pull a frame of brood for this week dying hive and let them make a queen or is it just too late for that now? I guess I could just save the 3-4 frames of nectar and capped honey and pollen for the next swarm I catch? I caught 3 swarms total, 2 did good, 1 I gave to a friend.

Cheers, thanks again.

2. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

I had the same thing happen. I combined it with a queen right nuc and added eggs too. This queen is not laying yet. I'm going to wait and see what happens. I think my catch swarmed again. I'm new to beekeeping and especially swarm treatment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

First of all, decide if it's important for you to have three hives as opposed to two. If you want three, give the queenless swarm some frames of YOUNG brood and let them raise themselves a new queen. But keep in mind that it will be about a month before she'll start laying and the hive will start to grow.
    If you're willing to be satisfied with two hives (for the moment), merge this queenless swarm with one of your other two hives.
    You could simply shake all the bees off the frames in front of the other hives and make their hive "disappear" so they can't get back to it. Or, you could merge the queenless hive with one of the hives using the newspaper method. (write "newspaper method" in the search box at the top right of the page and you'll get plenty of info on that).
    My personal advice would be to merge. Strating with a weak hive so late in the season would require a lot of attention on your part.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree with efmesch, this late in the game combine the weak colony with a queen right colony.

5. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

Thanks guys, so another silly question. If I plop this queenless deep on another hive with the newspaper method. Ill end up with a hive with 3 deeps?

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

After they settle down, you go through the hive and remove the unnecessary frames and reduce the hive to the size your population and store justify.