10 frame deep vs 2-5 frame Nucs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Duck1968, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I am building some Nuc boxes today and got to thinking about the 2 4lb. packages I have coming in April. Would it work better to start the packages in a 10 frame deep or double stacked 5 frame deep Nucs. I have 8 frames of drawn comb from my deadout that I plan on splitting between the two packages. Same space and same # of frames, Maybe I will try one each way.

2. Charles

Charles New Member

My first thought is 6 of one half dozen of the other. If you do try it both way's post your findings...

3. DCoates

DCoates New Member

My guess would be go with nucs because they's have less room to defend and the temp will be easier to control. After 4 weeks in there they'll be busting at the seams and be ready for a 10 frame. Just my 2 cents and it may be overpriced. ;)

4. rast

rast New Member

Well, here's my 1 1/2 cents. If they will build up as fast as you figure they will, I would put them in a full size box with a good fitting sliding division board. As they build, move the board over and add some frames. It's less work for you, less stress on the bee's and less chance of damaging the queen or loosing her if she's one of those that will hide in the bottom of the nuc.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't know much about your weather in NE.But when i get packages of bees in April or May i start them in 10 frame deeps especially if i have drawn comb to give them. With 4lbs of bees and 4 drawn combs they should build up fast,with feeding them and a entrance reducer.This way you don't have to disturb them when transfering the frames of bees from a nuc to a deep hive body and take a chance of killing the queen. But like Charles and Dcoates either way would work, and to tell the truth i've never started a package of bees in a nuc :confused: . Just my two cents worth. Jack

6. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

Well it was almost 70 today, but winter is not over. More snow in the forcast for Sunday and Monday. We can get freezing temps at night thru the first week of May. We start planting corn around the 15th of April and soybeans the 1st of May.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

split the drawn comb between the two packages. the size of box question, you could go either way. if you expected significant cold weather after the packages are installed you might want to use the smaller boxes.