100,000 beekeeper petition

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Feb 20, 2011.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

As part of the National Honey Bee Day program, we have started a petition drive in support of the honey bee and beekeepers all across the country.

Details can be found, as well as a downloadable petition form at www.nationalhoneybeeday.org

We ask that you consider printing out a petition form and also taking one to your local bee association.

The petition drive will continue all summer with the climax ending with the National Honey Bee Day program in Late August. We have plans to hand deliver the petition forms to Washington and hopefully meet with key officials to hear our concerns.

So please spread the word. Together we can make changes.

Thank you.

2. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Is there also an online way to sign or do you want only hard copies? Either way, I'm in, but if there is an online page I can post it on my Facebook page.

Thanks!

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you Mil.

We have discussed and may add an online form.

But we really wanted this petition drive to be used by beekeepers as a means for connecting with the public via honey display, county fairs, bee open houses, environmental centers, school presentations, and so on. This provides the opening for dialog to make a connection, educate to the problems we are having with bees, and allow the public a small part of getting involved. And a paper petition still carries significant P.R. value in ways that a online petition does not. We might get more online signatures, but would lose the connectivity and opportunities to come with contact with the public.

At the end of the day, will we get much done in Washington? I hope so, but do not know. The real value may be the promotion and petition drive and the opportunities we may foster by doing the petition drive in the first place.

I am glad you feel this is a worthy cause. Please feel free to link the website. www.nationalhoneybeeday.org

Take Care.

4. milapostol

milapostol New Member

BjornBee,
    Sent the hard copy to you today. Thanks for the reply, link, and all your work.

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Mil,
    Your petition was the first I received in the mail. I want to say thank you personally and wish you a wonderful day. :)

6. Tia

Tia New Member

I've sent the website to the president of our county chapter to distribute to the membership and others.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you Tia.

Some of the petitions are now starting to arrive from across the country.

Thank you to all who get involved.

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

No, thank YOU for putting all this effort into our beloved bees. I posted it on my blog and social media.

Hey everyone, let's help out our fellow member and the bees!