?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by CROWEmtnFARMS, Jun 23, 2014.

1. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

I put my 2nd super on 2wks ago but i waited to put the excluder on until then. Should i have put it on over the deep. I was leavin the deep and first super for them to winter on and was just gonna take whatever was in 2nd is why i dne it but now im wondering if that will be to much brood and cause overcrowding

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If the bees are drawing out foundation you need to take the excluder off cause the bees will be reluctant to work and draw out the frames if they have to go through the excluder. or you can oull frames with the comb drawn and honey stored in the frames up into the top super and place the undrawn frames in the first super that you will leave for winter.

3. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

But with no excluder it will not be pure honey it will have eggs and larva. Correct?

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If the bees have empty combs for the queen to lay in the bottom supers the bees will draw out and fill the super with honey as they draw the comb. Once they get started working the honey super then the queen excluder can be added.

5. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

The brood and first super were full when i put 2nd and excluder on

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes this I do realize this, but the bees will be reluctant to enter the 2nd super if it is bare foundation and there is a queen excluder in place. Queen excluders are often called by lots of beekeepers Honey excluders. The bees will plug the brood chambers below the excluder rather than travel through it to draw comb and store honey. When the brood chambers get plugged the queen looses space to lay the hive becomes over crowded and the bees could decide to swarm even though you think you have left them lots of empty space by adding the empty super.
    What you need to do is to make sure the bees are working the super above the queen excluder and that they have not plugged the brood supers. this can be done by pulling a couple of drawn frames up and putting empty frames in their place or leaving the queen excluder off until they are working the 2nd box on top.

7. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Well i checked it this aternoon and they are workin the 2nd super starting to draw it out but its slow after readin ur post i think i will swap a frame or 2 between the supers to help with the issues u speak of. I preciate all the help and advise

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

even if the queen goes up to the top super and lays eggs, as they hatch the cells will be filled with honey, the queen will be forced back down into the lower boxes and also remember, if the queen runs out of space to lay she will swarm.

9. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Well if thats the case than 2 more questions. the excluder is no good? And i can harvest the first super since its full and they have obviously hatched and filled back with honey i assume then let them fill the one the what is now 2nd which then will be only one super for them to fill and winter. Does this question make since?

10. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

The worth of an excluder is relative. You will find many here do not use them. Using mediums or shallows, it is easy to let the bees just move your honey up until it is solid. Any eggs or larva you can't wait on will be strained out.

This time of year, I see no reason not to harvest from the super that is full of honey.

11. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

12. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Strained out... sorry, old man, big fingers. You will be running your honey through wire or nylon strainers when you harvest.

13. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh i see says the blind man. Guess ill be harvesting before long