15/32 Plywood Nucs Aluminum Flashing Telescoping Lid

Discussion in 'The Helpful Handyman' started by blueblood, May 9, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi guys/gals, just returned from the Home Depot and wanted to share a couple of things that may help someone in the future. My goal was to pick up a sheet of 1/2" plywood for the nuc box plans and to take another look for an affordable flashing for telescoping lids. I plan on making them again if I can find a cheap weather cover. Here it goes:

1. 15/32 is all your gonna find in plywood at Home Depot or at Lowes and it's just gonna have to do. I will adjust for the 1/32" difference. The industry as I understand it, saves a ton of money making the 15/32 plywood versus the cost involved in shaving that 1/32" off.

2. As for flashing, I found this to be quite humorous but a shame. Although it worked out fine for me in the end. Home Depot sales 1' x 2' aluminum sheets near lumber on an end cap with other metal sheets, decorative sheets etc. for $10.98/sheet. This is not enough material anyway. Now, if you walk to the inside edge of the store in the roofing materials, you will find aluminum flashing in rolls of 20" x 10 feet on a bottom shelf for only $12.98 (just 2 more dollars!). I can cover just about 5 telescoping lids for that which helps place the lid under the price of ordering one now. It pays to look around a little bit before you buy. I have seen this in stores so often.

Hope this helps someone....Dave

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good tip, that's how we can all save a little $$$$.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They also have it in 25 and 50 ft. rolls. Even cheaper, per foot.

I have bought it at Lowes in 24 in. X 50 Ft. With it, you only have to cut the with for the 5, 8, or 10 frame box. The 24 in. is correct for all three boxes.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Cool...I will have to check Lowes for the next roll. Depot only had the 20" in 10 and 25 foot. My plans for the lid are 18-1/4" x 22" which will leave a good overlap. I am still too cheap to by a hand brake to bend the edges down. I just use a hammer and a 2x4 or other edge. Maybe I will have to ask for one to be placed in my stocking this year...

I have said it already, but I absolutely love those plywood nuc plans. I had the sheet cut in half horizontally leaving me with two 4x4 sections..which worked out just fine for the plans. I did notice there was only 1-13/16 left at the bottom of the sheet when I was finished cutting all the top pieces. The plans call for the cleats to be 1-7/8." Most likely due to kerf. I doubt a 16th will cause any issue, but I cut some cleats as specified out of the other scraps left over. I spent about 15-20 minutes cutting the pieces and It will probably only take me an hour to glue and brad nail together minus painting time. They are great!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I remembered seeing this (a long time ago on another forum :oops:) and thought it was cool. Hope it's OK to post it here.
    (credit to David LaFerney)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Perry that is cool

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Perry that is cool

1/2" does exist , just not at big box stores, The 15/32 works just fine, don even have to make any adjustments, just cut to std plans

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a cool idea Perry! Thanks for sharing that.

Zulu, I discovered I didn't have to adjust like you said. That 32nd difference can occur anyway depending on how thick my pencil line is and where I cut on it. So, I didn't sweat it..

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

32nd of an inch? :shock:
    Depending on how thick my pencil line is? :shock:
    Are we talking bee boxes here or a piano? :lol: You guys are goooooooooooood! :thumbsup:

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Perry...ha! I'm weird about that stuff but my wife would tell ya I'm careless with other things...like stacking my dirty clothes 5 feet from the hamper..hehe! I kid ya not, I sharpened my carpenters pencil 3 times while cutting those nucs...and, I am very clear that the bees could care less :wink:.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

As I tell people when building some things, ......you ain't building furniture.....

But on the lathe, I work to thou's at times, so can be accurate when needed.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Pencil line width, now that brings back a memory of my Daddy teaching me how to cut the line in half with a hand saw. An old carpenters trick to win a bet. My Grand Daddy was a union carpenter that finished out the insides of ships at one time.

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

14. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Perry, those photos are very helpful, thanks so much.

15. ablanton

ablanton New Member

You have no idea how much easier you just made my life!

16. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I will have to side with Dave on this one because I'm so OCD with woodworking:twisted:. We bought a cnc router 2 years ago and never made the last payment because they where not able to keep the machine within my tolerance +,- .25mm. alot to ask from a wood working machine but hey don't tell me it can do something and not make it do it.

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! .25mm...now that is ocd...hehe...Thanks for your support sir!

18. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Dave,

1/2" would be 16/32, so if they are selling 15/32 they are 1/32 thinner than 1/2" already so if you make adjustments to the plans you would want to go 1/32" smaller rather than larger since 1/32" larger would put you 1/16" off with the differences between the two adding up.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I knew that didn't make sense how I described that...I meant to explain how some plywood is sanded or not and how that 1/32" is the difference between the two..Either way, the difference is so "nominal" I did not even notice any problems, gaps or anything else when I put them together...

20. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Perry, I use the same method of bending my metal tops. Like you, I saw it on another thread and it is really cool (and cheap - like ME) to use. :thumbsup: