150 acres... were do I start?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by wltwine, May 30, 2011.

1. wltwine

wltwine New Member

Okay folks this is opportunity before me, I have a friend from our church who has offered me around 150 acres to put some hives on. Went to look at the property today and man is it nice, it has blackberry, and trees galore on it, it also has a nice pond so there's plenty of water for the bees, my only problem is where do I start and how many hive's should I start with and where to place them, I don't want to get to overwhelmed but since I've seen it I can't wait to set some hives up. It's about 100 acres of trees and about 50 thats mainly open kinda like a meadow, any suggestions on how to go about this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

from reading Im guessing you at this time dont have any hives. I would start with no less than 2 or any more than 5. The 150 acres sounds good it depends on what type of trees are in the timber as to wether they will produce a honey crop. Same can be said for the meadow it all depends on what kind of floral plants are there that produce nectar. Remember a bee will forage up to 3 miles away from the hive so look at the big picture look what is beyond the 150 acres. Because them bees will be venturing elseware. I try to put my hives out of site from the road but still accessable when weather is not good. The pond is a good thing for water. But remember bees lock onto a water source like the do a nectar source. With that said you might have a 2 acre pond right next to the hive. and they may end up locking onto a dogs water dish a half a mile away. That comes from a personal experience. cost me a new dog dish and left that one just out of reach of the dogs so owner dog and bees was happy

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, I have a guy who has tried for 10 years to get me to put hives on his 170 acres with plantings for deer, quail, and doves. It also has a pond and is watched over closely. I just don't want my hives 5 mile from home.

Now, if you do decide to do it, look for an area well traveled by the owner, but not others. Near the pond, but on high ground. In an area where the grass is mowed, or at least close by, so you can mow easily if needed. Next, an area where the hives will face from east to south and in full or nearly full sun. ""You do have SHB in Moyock"".

You will want easy access in all kinds of weather, without locked gates when the owner isn't home to let you in. Consider the price of gas and your travel time. You didn't say how far away from your house it was. Don't put them in a pasture where cows, pigs, goats, or horses can get to them.

Do you have bears or skunks in the area? If so, how will you protect the hives. Plan well before executing the move.

As said above, start with 2 to 5 and adjust with hindsight.

4. Tyro

Tyro Member

Iddee is right on with this advice! I can't have hives in town, so all of mine are on property owned by others outside of town. When it gets wet here - some of the roads remain fine. Others turn into what we call - gumbo! No driving through that. Additionally, when the fields get mushy - there is no way you are driving to your hives AND driving back out again!

Initially, I had a couple of hives in places where, if it was a wet summer, I might have gotten to them two or three times. That makes hive management difficult. I have never been so happy to lose hives over the winter as I was to lose them! They have since been moved!

Mike

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Also, being a newish beekeeper, 3 years now, I remembered being overwhelmed by 1 hive when I didn't know anything. You really didn't mention how much experience you have, so you might want to take this into consideration also.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing better than your hives in the back yard so that you can make quick inspections at any time.

You will miss out on some things if they are not close, like your own hives swarming, pest bothering or knocking them over, wind or storm damage, theft or just plain destruction, a hive going weak or being robbed out, etc, etc.