19% moisture

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Oct 2, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Have about 100 pounds with that moisture content.
    Should I just feed it back to the girls or is it ok to sell?

:mrgreen: Al

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have read that 18.6 is the breaking point. Above that may ferment. That is from reading only, as I know nothing about it for sure. Maybe someone will post who really knows.

3. the kid

the kid New Member

Al ,, again we run into the miles between us ,, if I was in your area I would cut a deal with you for the honey ,,
    as I would just make it all into about 30 gals of meed ... put it on crigslist as honey for meed .. brewers are always looking for meed honey ...

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Did you check it at the first of extaction or towards the end. i check my honey when at extraction at the start as it begins to flow and at the end and usually get about 1 percent difference. since the lighter honey will flow first. you may be good to go if you checked it at the start

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I extracted every thing fully capped first. It ran between 16.5 and 17%. After that was all finished, I ran every thing up to the 50% capped stuff which tested at 17%. The 50% and less stuff is at 19%.

Tom Of course the shipping is the biggest cost. I just shiped 10 pounds each to Washington state and another 10 pounds to Kentucky Monday. Flat rate of course $10.35 still a box.

Where would you post it on criegs list?

6. Tia

Tia New Member

I remember reading somewhere that you could blow fans over the top for a couple of days and that would dry it out.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The last two years we've had lots of rain, last year over 6ft. for the year and i heard we are only 18 in. behind last years total in Oct. My capped honey has been checking 21% to 22% when i extract in late Aug. i keep it in 5 gal. buckets with a net over it in airconditioning and a fan blowing over it. It sometime takes a week but it will bring it down 16% to 17%. Some of the older beekeepers in our club say they have bottled it at 18 and a 1/2% percent with know problem. Back in the sixties befor i knew what a refactometer was and my honey was capped and i couldn't shake it out of the open cells i extracted it and never had a fermentation problem, Makes a fellow wonder dosen't it. :confused: Jack

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

You should have extracted them as they came. Then they would have balanced themselves out. If you have a big enough tank you might want to mix all of your honey together and then you will probably have a moisture content that won't firment on you.

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I had a friend who one time had a barrel of honey that tested high for moisture. Since he heated his hot room w/ a wood stove, what he did was he raised the barrel up, right next to the stove, to a higth higher than the stove, ran a section of rain gutter across the stove and into another barrel. he then punched and small hole in the barrel of honey, down near the bottom, and let the honey drain across the stove, through the gutter and into the other barrel. The honey didn't get burned and it dryed down to an acceptable moisture content.

10. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

How about a dehumidifier? It worked for me, but I only had honey from one hive to worry about. I put the bucket in a small room with the dehumidifier and it brought it down to below 18%.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey sqkcrk, i'll bet your friend knew how to make sorghum too. :lol: Jack

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Al[/quote]

You should have extracted them as they came. Then they would have balanced themselves out. If you have a big enough tank you might want to mix all of your honey together and then you will probably have a moisture content that won't firment on you.[/quote]

That is exactly how I do it and come out fine

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's late enough in the year that they could probably use extra stores anyway, so if it were me I would just feed it back to them.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I have a friend that gets about ten honey supers a year. His hot room is heated with a electric heater but he also has a dehumiditifyer in there. don't know what he gets for moisture content but the honey is so warm when the knife takes the caps off it just pours out of the cells.

:D Al

15. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah, he might. It sure sounds similar, don't it? He is a selfproclaimed WVA Hillbilly. He isn't the most literate of persons, but he has inginuity on his side.

16. the kid

the kid New Member

for craigslist
    google craigslist michigan

upper left click post to classifieds

click for sale

click •farm & garden

click your county

now fill out your post

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Thanks Tom, now you get a resperator for your wood working.
    Also have Bonnie checked by a doctor. I have a friend who keep breaking out after handling frames and such. He has a reaction to proplis and has the wear gloves when handing stuff with it on.