1908 ABC XYZ Of Bee Culture!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Feb 15, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i started collecting some of the editions of these old books. (wish i had dave's!) i wanted the 1908 edition because of the gilded bee on the front cover. i watch these on ebay from time to time for what they sell for, incredible. one now i watched come down from 175$, for 1908. i also check the book shelves in antique stores and the 1/2 price book stores in my travels.

a friend of a friend stumbled across this copy, he didn't want it so called me, the other guy was going to put it up on ebay. what's he want for it.....and have him send me some pix, WHOOOOEEEE! i don't think it's ever been read and sat on a bookshelf.....pristine condition and the cover is awesome! just a couple pix:

1908 abc xyz1.JPG ........awesome cover!

1908 abc xyz 2.JPG ........no yellowing of the pages!

i suspect someday when i leave this life, kicking and screaming, my grandchildren are going to open a big heavy box or two full of 41+ some editions of abc xyz of bee culture.......
    i'm thinking they will scratch their heads, and say "gee grandma must have really liked bees, she bought 40xxx some copies of the same book!" :lol:.....
    and/or "dang she was nuts, but she sure was funny! :lol:

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Awesome Riv! I have 1920 and a 1940 editions, both were gifts to me. My two also have the gold embossed bee on their covers...love that beautiful touch. Both of mine are more yellowed than your pristine older one. Nice!

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a nice copy...I get a kick out of reading the copy I have, 1888!

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

Whoa, you guys! :thumbsup:

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Nothing like Keeping up with the latest most up to date information on bees and beekeeping!!!
    Riverbee. Great find In pristine condition. They are up to edition 41 now Wow My 1980 copy was the 34th edition. How many have you acquired?
    I can hear your grand childrens conversation now "My grandma collected tea spoons, what did yours collect?"" BOOKS... BIG BIG BOOKS...ON BEES!!!""

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I can hear your grand childrens conversation now "My grandma collected tea spoons, what did yours collect?"" BOOKS... BIG BIG BOOKS...ON BEES!!!""
    :lol:

7. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

What a beautiful find! Gorgeous copy!
    :goodpost::coolphotos:
    I have just started my collection:
    1972 and a 1929, Just love them both.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks all! i love these old abc books!
    perry-
    "If you are collecting (some call it hoarding) how about this?"

perry.....you saying i am hoarding???!!!! i am investing.........:lol:
    okay just for that, guess what, i will change my will with your son's name to 'inherit' my investment, (uh..hoarding) two + big heavy boxes.....LOL....he will say..."geez my dad was a great guy, wow, sorta nuts though, did he ever love bees , he had 40+ copies of the same big bee book! :lol:
    that ebay link is to a 1945 copy, and it's in really good shape!!!, i don't have the 1945 edition....yet, hmmmm. nice find perry!

the listing has a ton of watchers and this am had 20 bids, and 5 days left on it. i suspect this will sell for well over 70$. i like to watch something when it first goes up, so i know the original starting bid, and number of watchers, so when it's comes down, sort of gives one an idea what folks are not willing to pay when it's re-listed. i don't know the history of this book, but am not willing to pay the dollars, well, unless i was just HOARDING one copy..... :lol:

it will be interesting to see what it sells for.

10. Ray

Ray Member

The interesting thing about e-bay is that the winning(?) bidder has payed more that anybody else would for that item. :)