1st Cut out ever

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Fuzzystuff, May 10, 2013.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2707.JPG I listened to the walls and floors with a stethoscope nothing, I even used the thermal imaging camera and could only get a hot spot. The hot spot was in line with the hole on the outside so it could have been a false image from the sun shining on that area. The big problem was we had 5 days of cool weather and lots of rain so there was no action at the hole. I hated to cut into the floor and then the bees be in the wall especially since the church building is really old (old world lath & plaster). When the sun came out on the 6th days so did the bees coming and going loaded with pollen. I made the educated guess that they would be in the floor since the joists would be sitting on the top plate and the wall would have insulation in it. I was half right.

In 11 days since they showed up they built 5 good size sections of comb and 2 more about half the size as the bigger ones. 2 bars had brood uncapped and some capped and all of them loaded with pollen and uncapped honey. We could not find the queen but move comb in to KTBH with brood and honey and I started sucking up bees. After sucking up about 3lbs of bees we took the KTBH to its location and dumped the bees in. I stayed to figure out how many bees we still had and that is when I reached my arm up the wall cavity and felt that it was full of bees and more comb.

needless to say I did have to cut a hole in the wall to get the remaining bees out. There was also no insulation and no top plates since the exterior studs go from 1st to 2nd floor continuous and joist nailed to the stud. It was a bees paradise. I sucked up the rest of the bees that I could until there were just a few stragglers. After 3 1/2 hours in an 80+ degree room I was tired and still no queen. I went home and hoped that the girls would take care of those new eggs and rear a new queen. I opened my bee vac to dump the bees into the hive and "oh my" tons of them. I gave it a few shacks and check the box and there she was just hanging out. I caught her dumped the rest and let her out where she climbed right down on to the brood bar. Still have a few bees to collect at church and patch some holes but I'm calling it job well done.

Bees up the wall

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you did a great job for your first cut out. :thumbsup:

Nothing better than free bees :lol:

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Yeah there is. Free Bees and getting paid to remove them!!! Nice work BTW!

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Taking the donation receipt this time:grin:

5. pturley

pturley New Member

I have two to do under the same terms... ..it's all good!

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice job, well done.
    That old construction is referred to as "balloon framing", where the studs go beyond the second level, and you're right, it would be a bee paradise.
    I see that there is even old "knob and tube" wiring. When we discovered that in our last house (circa 1886) we were told by our insurance company they wouldn't insure us until it was removed.
    You did good! :thumbsup:

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Good job. What is the structure attached to the church in pic #6?

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great job! Glad you found the queen too. I bet you are dog tired this evening...

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow, some great pix too fuzzy.....:grin:

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

It is an awning that was cut in and not sealed very well. Direct hole into joist/wall space.

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

You are correct about "balloon framing" I just was not sure if everyone else would know what I was talking about :grin: I warned them about the knob and tube that it should be replaced, I got bit a little reaching my hand down the wall cavity. Horse hair plastor

12. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Very nice post. Looks like you earned this bunch of bees. Thanks for the great pictures also. Tom