1st Cutout!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Indiana Dave, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

In the morning my wife and I are gonna attempt our first cutout. I've got a bee vac that I built a couple of weeks ago and its ready for its maiden voyage...(Thanks to G3, Perrybee and Robo's designs they posted) Made a list of items, including the camera, to take with us and its all in the garage ready to load up! The hive is at least a couple of years old (according to the owner) in an old abandoned farmhouse on a farm I turkey hunt on. My daughter and I found it last spring. I asked the land owner about it over the winter and was given the 'go-ahead' to remove it. The camera is all charged up and ready to go. Hoping to post some pics tomorrow and a 'success story'!

To be continued......:grin:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

We're rooting for the two of you. Hope it turns out to be an impressove catch without any problem surprises.:clap:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Excellent, more pictures! :thumbsup:

Just go slow and steady, and you will be fine.
    Looking forward to reading about your experience.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

good luck and have fun with it, I find its best to do both outside edges 1st to get rid of the comb honey 1st, the queen wont be there so you can move fast with those, and a set of folding horses and a old hollow core door as a work bench for installing brood comb in frames is a sweet thing to have. cant wait to see the pics:Dancing:

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good luck to ya and have fun with it.

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Looking forward to the pics and as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story"

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Speechless....I'm just speechless!

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Okay, I'll spare the drama. My wife and I got there and, low and behold, the hive was dead.:sad: Couldn't believe it. We were so pumped. I checked all the way around the house for another entrance or another hive. Even checked the inside. When I walked in the house, I scared out a big sow coon from her 'den' in the closet. Scared the bejeebers outta me when she came boiling out of there.
    Anyway, as I promised, here are the pictures...

Here is the house. The entrance was diagonal from the bottom left corner of the left window.
    [​IMG]

It was the bigger hole of the three.
    [​IMG]

And finally, a close up of the inactive entrance.
    [​IMG]

At least I have a live cutout to do this Friday in an occupied house with wood siding. Was hoping to use this one to cut my teeth on for practice before the big dance. Sorry to disappoint...

On the positive side of things, my wife and I walked around a bit and found a few yellow morels. They should fry up nicely!

9. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

A swarm may move in there before too long and you might still get to do the cutout on it.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

And here we were all drooling at thoughts of the honey, imagining the beauty of your new queen, thinking of your telling the story about the hive that covered just so many beautifully built combs, packed with bees as tame as a fluffy kitten.....
    Now what will we dream about tonight?
    The nice bonding trip you had with your wife, your visit to a new area, the fact that you'll be even more prepared for the next big one.
    Chalk it up to the fun of being a beekeeper.:coolphotos: You made the best of a bad situation.

11. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Good point, Efmesch! It was nice to spend time with her on a beekeeping expedition. She is getting more and more interested in beekeeping. She even painted (stenciled) a few deeps and medium boxes!
    I will tell you that I was so fired up about it that I dreamed about doing cutouts all night last night. Even dreamed about a Cordovan Queen with all of her bright yellow workers coming from that house....